Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 to 8 lug: Can I reuse auto locking hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 28, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I've been doing searches, and what I came up with was that I would have to buy the following to do a 6 to 8 lug conversion on a front 10 bolt, but I'm still not sure:

- 3/4 ton rotor AND hub assembly
    - 3/4 ton caliper plates

I would buy these things and use my existing calipers and spindles. Do I have to buy a rotor/hub assembly, or can I just buy the 3/4 ton rotors and use the auto locking hubs that are already on my '89 K5?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I believe you COULD us them, but I would not. Upgrade to some manual hubs, they are stronger and more reliable.

Your list would be:

3/4 ton backing plates,
    3/4 ton hubs and rotors

You should not have to replace the spindles or brake calipers. If you have 15" wheels that you are gonna use, then some grinding will be in order. Really not too hard at all.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Don't reuse them. They are from the factory a 30,000 mile part. They cost me several hundred dollars in damage due to failure. They locked while going down the turnpike. They wear out fast and while they are rebuildable, I wouldn't suggest it. It's cheaper to go ahead and pony up the $100 for some good manual Warn's. You'll be money ahead I PROMISE!!!