Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 to 8 lug front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Obsession, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

I have a 10 bolt front on a Blazer and want to change the 6 lug to 8 lug. I have read the "how to" on this site but have different info from a local rear end shop. So here is the question.............CAN I KEEP THE STOCK SPINDLES OR DO I HAVE TO GET 3/4 TON SPINDLES ????? has any one actually done this who can answer this???
    Thanks
    Ken

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

it depends on the year truck you have and year 8 lug hubs. i dont know the specific years, so thats all I can help, but someone will definately know
    i know i use i think a 78 hub and rotor, and reused my spindles and berings, and i have an 83

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yes I have done this to my 10 bolt. And yes you can keep the same spindle. The only difference between a 3/4 ton and 1/2 are the hubs, rotors and backing plates. I have a write up that the infamous ThatK30Guy wrote in reply to this same question when I asked it earlier this year. And it goes a little something like this:

<font color=blue>GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub &amp; rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub &amp; rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

In Estebans case, he has an 86 blazer and found 73 three quarter ton parts. He would need to use the 73 backing plates, spindles, bearing hubs &amp; rotors.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60.</font color=blue>

I think that about sums it up.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ok just did the swap myself personally.i have a 73 blazer.months ago i put on 78 spindles,rotors.4 weeks ago i put on 85 suburban 8 lug rotors and backing plates.spindles are the same.calipers are the same.bearings are the same.hubs are the same and i used 15" 8 lug wheels and had to grind to fit.

5. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

WOW !!!!
    Ask and you will recieve. thanks for all the help, you guys saved me the time and money needed to find and buy replacement spindles.
    Thanks
    Ken

http://www.blazinobsession.com/

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

we're not k5 doctors, we just play them on PC,[​IMG] naa J/K thats why we're here

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The one thing I did and would suggest is when you find a donor axle, rape it for everything. Take everything from the spindles out. This way you have spare everything. you might pay a little more, but when something breaks(notice I say when) you already have the parts and you won't have to go looking for them.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>