Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 to 8 lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Jun 25, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have 72 blazer.i know this question has been beeten to death but i may as well ask again. will i need the 3/4 ton hubs off of a pre 76 truck to fit my d44?if i get the hubs,will they fit my original spindles and can i reuse the same bearings?i looked it up at a parts store and it said in the timken book that the bearings were the same if i looked at it right.i could not get a part # for the hubs though.help please,thanx

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Read this:

GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

WOW. I'm impressed Wes. This is the way all questions should be answered. Cudo's to Wes on this one. VERY Impressed with the depth and quality of your reply. I'm actually going to print this post and save it for future reference. Thanks dude.; /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Wes do you have this saved so you can copy/ paste it when this comes up? Good Post dude. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

wes youve answered that so many times you ought to just put that whole reply down as your signature... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Later

6. thatK30guy

Thanks Joe! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

A lot of that info came from trial and error and lots and lots of reading books and magazines.
    I grew up around GM trucks and had my hands-on experience of tearing apart stuff to see and learn about them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. thatK30guy

Yeah, I have this saved because it comes in handy at times like now, so I don't have to re-write the whole thing over and over again. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. thatK30guy

Eddie, I just might do that! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Nah, I don't want to hog all the space under each of my replies. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. chulisohombre

if the 1st style is 73 to 76 how do i have a 44 under my blazer?or are you talkng about the 3/4 ton hubs?you also said the spindle is the same,so i can reuse my same bearings with the 3/4 ton hub and backing plate.im just asking because last year i replaced all front bearings in hub and spindle.if i can reuse bearings,do i have to replace with new races in the new spindles for a correct wear pattern.thanx for the info.maybe these questions can help you to save a more complete answer for future 6 to 8 luggers. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. thatK30guy

Since I'm not real familiar with the '67-'72 trucks, I understand the disc brake D44 front axles came out in '71, right?

If that's the case, the "first design" actually started when the disc brakes came out on those axles.

I just never label the '71 or '72 because 99% of the time I'm always talking about the '73 and newer axles. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'm not talking about only the 3/4 ton hubs in that article. I'm talking about both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton hubs and all parts.

From reading your sig, I take it you have a '72 truck. If you want to reuse the bearings, races, etc., you can, but only on any D44 axle up to '76. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

What do you mean by replacing the races in the spindles? Spindles don't have races in them. Just outside on them. Races are on the inside of the bearing hubs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. chulisohombre

yeah i meant hubs.i wrote that after i got home from work last night.form what i looked at from the parts store they had a the d44 listed as 67-76 first style axles i think. i still dont have any parts #'s for the 3/4 ton hubs yet.i dont think i want to buy new anyways.way to expensive.i looked on the tech article on here about the changeover and he said he spent almost 600 altogether for the new parts.way outa my range.so im still on the search for a junkyard that hasnt been gone through yet.thanx for the info.i saved your answers to my hard drive for later use.