Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6" Tuff Country All Spring Lift ?'s

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bpiccioni, Jan 28, 2003.

1. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

6\" Tuff Country All Spring Lift ?\'s

I have an 87 3/4T Chevy Sub that I want to lift and it sure seems like Tuff Country wins the approval of a lot of the members on coloradok5.com.

I am considering the 6" all-spring lift System from Tuff Country but havent been able to get a clear answer (emailed Tuff Country a cpl times back and forth) as to how the 6" EZ Rides compare to the stock GM 3/4T spring pack as far as durability, toughness and load rating.

Am I gonna seriously reduce the load/hauling capacity of the truck by putting EZ Rides on in place of the stock GM 3/4T 56" spring pack?

Thanks for the help!

Ben

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Re: 6\" Tuff Country All Spring Lift ?\'s

I'm not sure what the stock spring rate is but www.TuffCountry.com list the spring rate for their 6" lift, 56" springs(#19671) at 425 lb/in.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, no, you will not reduce the load capacity for the truck... You can get the HD front springs, which will definitely increase the load capacity over the stock springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if you wheel with a big block, winch etc... As far as I can tell, GM doesnt generally publish their spring rates in an easy to find place. If you really really need every lb, go ahead and PM me with all your truck info (year, type, suspension options, etc...) and I will see what I can come up with at work. Either way, you will definitely get more life out of the TC springs. GM (as with all big auto mfg's) makes thier springs for the mass market, soft for ride quality first and foremost (specially on a people transport like a burb) and durability down the line somewhere (No offense, but its cheaper for GM to replace them than slow down production and spend the extra $$ up front). They dont take the time to put pads between them (at least they didnt on any on the chevy's I have ever owned), didnt bother with poly bushings, didnt spend the extra $$ on rolled ends for the springs, etc...

You wont be sorry with any of the lifts you get, TC just happens to have the lowest (softest) advertised spring rates.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Jim

Thanks for the #'s - I missed those! I wonder where you found them? I spent more time than I care to admit poking around on Tuff Country's site using my GF's dialup and I didnt see that type of spec on the Tuff Country Chevy Springs page, bill of material page for #19671 or on the PDF.

I also checked out your MSN Site - that's a beatiful 70 you got!

Ben

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Ryan

You bring up some good points - namely that pretty much any spring lift kit available will be a far sight nicer than my 16+ yr old stock springs/suspension. I guess I was just worried that I would find out the hard way after buying and installing a lift that I could no longer haul as many cement bags in the back as I can now.

It's funny - this burb has the GM HD Front Spring Option, the dual front shock option, TH400 3 Speed but only has a TBI350. Too bad it doesnt have a big block.

Thanks for the straight talk!

Ben

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Ben,
    Thanks and your welcome. I found the info from their first page, select products and then springs, it should list all their springs.
    I need to update my pictures, 2" and 33" tires.

7. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Jim

Found it - thanks for your help! I am definitely thinking the 6" springs will do just fine!

Ben

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you know it or not but there'e an ongoing debate whether or not 87-91 (TBI) ever came with big blocks. All evidence points to NO. So you cant be too dissapointed, plus the TBI 350's a plenty strong engine for their original applications /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Robert

When you said "87-91 (TBI) [n]ever came with big blocks" did you mean it's not possible to have a big block w/ TBI or that they just didnt configure big blocks with TBI by default?

Ben

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's one more variable in that equation. GM never offered 454's and four wheel drive until 1992. 454's were available before then, but only with 2WD. Starting in '87 or so, the 454 came with TBI instead of a carb. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. afroman006

What Harry said. As far as anyone can prove, GM never offered a 454 in a 4WD from 87-91. It is entire possible to do, but the 454 TBI puter is different from the 350 TBI and obviously you'd need to pirate one out of a 2WD sub or truck. Im sure plenty of people have done it, and I plan on doing it soon too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'll have to call this as bull**** my ex neighbor had a '89 GMC K3500 dually (new body style) with a factory TBI 454. In '95 when I bought my '95 C3500 I was glad to see they did away with all the smog crap that was on his '89. Now this was in a IFS truck not a straight axle truck.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You ain't paying attention! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We're talking about Suburbans and you come in blasting about a dually, which is a 1-ton pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well I went back and it isn't real obvious that you talking about Subs. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Bruce

That's the crazy thing I've discovered about message threads - they morph and change with every new post.

Go figure - my innocent question about losing the load capacity of my 3/4T 87 350TBI Burb if I went with a 6" spring lift became a controversial thread about whether GM ever put a 454TBI into a 4x4 Burb.

It's like that old 'telephone' game only better.

Ben /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. afroman006

Oh yah well I'm calling bull**** on you. ALL of GM's 1 ton trucks, all suburbans and all blazers kept the straight axle until 1991! They are all made in the same plant and generally keep the same features for awhile after the 1/2 and 3/4 tons change body styles, drive train, etc. Your neigbor either lied to you or didnt know what he was talking about. GM kept the TBI engine untill 95 before changing to the Vortec so that could raise some confusion. All of the TBI's that I've ever seen didnt have any smog equipment but I havent ever seen a TBI 454. So in conclusion, it could not have been a "new body style" nor IFS (if its a 4x4) if it is truely an 89. Sorry for hijacking the post but you know how it is...

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Poster: afroman006
    Subject: Re: 6" Tuff Country All Spring Lift ?'s

Oh yah well I'm calling bull**** on you. ALL of GM's 1 ton trucks, all suburbans and all blazers kept the straight axle until 1991!

My reply to your post.
    OK a$$wipe you better look again. When they went to the new body style they made 4x4 1 ton extra cab trucks and that was what the one I was talking about. Now if you weren't replying to me you should have been more careful how you responded to my post. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifAnd his new style '89 GMC 1 ton Dually independent front had a airpump and a lot more crap on it than my '95 C3500 454 had. So bite me! I know what I was looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Robert

No worries on the post theft - I'll take one back from you later! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My 350TBI has an AIR (acronym in the manual - I'm not yelling at you) compressor on the passenger side, right under the alternator. It's driven by it's own wimpy little belt and has air lines that run into the exhaust manifolds.

There's also a slew of electric devices (sensors/regulators?) that sit on/in the air lines coming out of the compressor.

Would these qualify as smog equiment? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ben

19. afroman006

Damn buddy chill out. I thought you were talking about a crew cab, I didnt know they made non-crew cab duallies before the mid 90's. No need to get your panties in a wad, I didnt call you any names did I?

20. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

you wrote quote:

Damn buddy chill out. I thought you were talking about a crew cab, I didnt know they made non-crew cab duallies before the mid 90's. No need to get your panties in a wad, I didnt call you any names did I?
    and prevoiusly you wrote:

Oh yah well I'm calling bull**** on you. ALL of GM's 1 ton trucks, all suburbans and all blazers kept the straight axle until 1991!

So yes you did call me a name, (saying you were putting BULLSH1T on me). You said I didn't know what I was talking about and my eye must have desived me. Then you come out and say you didn't know they made the extra cab models in those years. WELL I DID KNOW, I remember when Chevy didn't build their own 4x4 trucks but sent them out to a outside company to convert them to 4x4. So before you jump in on someone who has been there and seen and done that, THINK! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif