Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 vs 7 prong

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BurbLover, Apr 28, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What's the big difference between a 6 pin round and a 7 pind round connection? I understand it's for auxillary, but what does that mean?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

used for either a reverse light on the trialer to assist in backing up as a 12 volt source for a battery charger.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

But the 6 show a 12V as one of it's wires. Wouldn't that be for that purpose?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    But the 6 show a 12V as one of it's wires. Wouldn't that be for that purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would work for charging a battery or accessories inside the trailer (dome lights, radio, etc). I'm happy using the 6 hole round connectors on just about everything. Most of the time I just have the bare minimum in use anyway (3 for lights, 1 for ground and 1 for brakes).

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, would it be better to convert my 6 way on my truck to a 7 or convert my camper to a 6? The only other trailers I have are both 4 anyways, so no conflict there.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I run a 7 way on my truck, then adapt down to 6 or 4 if needed for the trailer. The 7 prong is the big boy, and all the others can be fed easily off of it. Going the other way can have problems. The only gotcha is that the 6 way has 2 different "standard" pinouts. Basically 2 wires flipped for some trailers, but one is much more "standard" than the other... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I run a 7 way on my truck, then adapt down to 6 or 4 if needed for the trailer. The 7 prong is the big boy, and all the others can be fed easily off of it. Going the other way can have problems. The only gotcha is that the 6 way has 2 different "standard" pinouts. Basically 2 wires flipped for some trailers, but one is much more "standard" than the other... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kinda leaning towards the 7 prong just for the adaptability thing. Then I can just go to 7 on all my vehicles and I'll always be able to hook up to just about anything. I already have a 7-4 adapter. I'll just buy a 7-6 adapter & then I'll be covered.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    So, would it be better to convert my 6 way on my truck to a 7 or convert my camper to a 6? The only other trailers I have are both 4 anyways, so no conflict there.

[/ QUOTE ]

For A camper I would go with the 7 way and adapt down if needed. I dont haul a camper around right now so a 6 round works well for me. Mainly have a flatbed trailer and a set of towing lights (used with a towbar).

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've got that diagram. The 7th pin is for "auxilary". SO, what the hell is that?

Do I use that or the 12V for the charging system?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I used the 12v pin when i did mine for the travel trailer charging system.

Use the aux for like tailer back-up lights

12. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got that diagram. The 7th pin is for "auxilary". SO, what the hell is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could use it for backup lights on the trailer, or anything else you wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif