Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6 yards of ready mix concrete ? cost ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Mar 22, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what would you say would be the typical cost for 6 yards of ready mix concrete ?

i figure a few hundred

also im trying to figure up how many yards is the max for the price- near 6 yards volume

dunno how else to word that one..

and i wonder what 18 foot of 6" tall expansion joint runs ?

ive never bought either, but ive been involved with helping pouring/finishing concrete in the past, over at stepdads garage and such, but i have no idea what it costed and such, couple years back was the last pad we poured over there,

id call the local ready mix place but the freaking phone lines are messed up from the rain right now,,

after i get this 72 truck here i am gonna next start pick axing and digging and packing and leveling and staking and boxing in for this 18 x 18 x 6" pad out here.. or little larger if cost is same,

thanks for anything

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it has been some time but it was $100 a sq yard like 6 monts ago and a 5 yard min and add 100 to the top if saterday delervy or 7pm

just reread post you will never get 6 yards by hand you would need a mixer and the cost of the 50 lb bags will kill you -- good luck and die trying :D

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

R.S. Means says $75 CY for concrete.

.38 cents a foot for 1/2"x6" expansion joint (bituminous fiber)

About $1.50 a square foot for materials (concrete and accessories) if I can remember how to estimate.

John

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

not trying to hijack...but how do you know how much you need? Trying to figure a close figure for a slab for a shed....21ftx7ft...about 3" deep i guess.
    Thanks!

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

1.36 cubic yards. sooo, 2 cu. yards, but it usually a 5 or 6 cy min.

John

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Depth X Width X Length = ( i do it all in and then divide it by 46656in in a sq yard )

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Its easier for me to just divide by 27(3X3X3-3 cubic feet per cubic yard). I would not recommend a 3" slab for vehicles, 4" is much better, I really prefer 6" for anything I build, except sidewalks.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

27 is the magic number yeah

from sq feet to sq yards

i have one more Q:
    would it be fine to pour one big 18 x 18 slab or maybe i should do it in two sections ?

wire fence stuff in it ? or rebar, or ?

what would work best, or do i need either ?

thanks guys

:d

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Formula I usually use is (L * W * Th) / 27 all measurements are in feet. so an 8' X 10' slab at 4" thick would be like this (10 * 8 * .333) / 27 = roughly 1 yard.

as a general rule you want to add 20% to what you calculate.
    Better to be 1/2 yard over than a few shovles short...

Cost also will depend on whether you get a 4, 5, or 6 sack mix...

As stated before, if you are going to drive on it, make it 4" thick minimum.

You can pour a 18 X 18 slab, but you are going to need to cut control joints. I'd cut them every 6 feet to make an even looking tic-tac-toe pattern on your slab. Also look into reinforcing with wire or if not, see if you can get fibermesh added to the mix. With concrete it's not a matter of if it cracks but when, so you want to control it with control joints and reinforcement...

Have fun!!!:D

Scott

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you use pressure treated 2x4s as expansion joint, set up 4-9' grids, then you can use a 10' 2x4 as a scree board off the top of the expansion joints. Are you going to use a thickened edge when you pour it? Highly recommend if vehicles will be driving off and on.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good thread, I'm re-learning for when I get moving on my driveway someday again...

:thumb:

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When my grandfather did the 30'x20' driveway at my parents house, he did 6" of gravel over packed soil, then poured six 10'x10'x6" slabs, with 1/2" thick bituminous fiber exp. joints. He used what looked like wire fencing (1"x2" wire rectangles) for reinforcement; it's made for concrete reinforcement, so no vinyl coating on it. Propped it up about 2" off the gravel with some small 2x4 cutoffs.
    This was done in the spring of '83... As of last August, when my parents sold the house, there wasn't a crack to be found in those slabs. Pop did good work. Damn I miss him...

13. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Concrete in here in northern Pennsylvania is $73.00 a yard.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Fiber mesh rocks, we did our Garage with it, its a huge slab, (3car)and there is only 2 very small cracks in the very center of it

we also always used diesel fuel to seal it to, not shure if thats still a good idea with as expinsive as it is.