Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

This guy I work with is selling his 6" lift. I was wondering do you have to drop the transfer case for this lift? Its coming with the dropped steering arm. What else will I need with this? How does it affect street handling? Thanks all.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

you will prolly have to drop the t-case, although sometimes you don't. Depends on the truck, but most times with a 6" you do. With any lift you will get some bump steer.
    You need to get brackets for the brake lines to correct for the lift and/or extended brake lines (procomp makes some nice steel braided ones). Lots of PB Nutblaster ( a penetrating oil to break apart bolts and the stock steering arm). You might go for a new steering stabilizer too. And bigger tires [​IMG].

Is it a lift kit with blocks or springs for the rear?

No prohibiting allowed!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

3. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Its a lift kit with rear blocks. Im not to sure when he will have it off of the truck, but I hope its soon. Thanks for the info.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

This is what I would suggest getting:

FRONT:
    Springs
    shims
    dropped steering arm
    Swaybar correction or lowering kit?- get it
    Does he have a drop drag link?- get it
    shocks all around
    ubolts all around
    Brake line drop brackets AND/OR
    Stainless Steel brake lines if he'll let you have them.
    Lowered bump stops if he's got them.

REAR:
    springs?
    add-a-leafs?
    blocks?
    Will his drive shaft fit your truck? Maybe it won't fit his after it's lowered so see if you can get it.

About lowering the t-case. If you have the TH350 and the 203 t-case then it may be a good idea to lower it about an inch if you don't have a cv shaft to put on soon after the lift. I have been told by Steve Watson that this is considered to be a "long" set up so he recommends it, at least until you get a CV shaft. You can use 1 x 2 x 1/8" square steel or if you have the 1" spacers on there all ready just use them. If you lower it just make sure you have the clearance behind the distributer. It may be wise to loosen your exahust manifold nuts at the collector a little to allow them to swivel as it lowers.

Make sure he has the same diameter axle tubes for the sake of the u bolts

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Mudstud on 08/15/01 09:25 PM.</FONT></P>

5. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

WOW, thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try to get all of that. I know he doesnt have to extended brake lines, God knows how he got it to work. Im am also going to be swapping in a SM465/205 t-case. Think this will make a difference vs. a 350/203 t-case in driveline length? Thanks again for the info.