Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60-66 Burb Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kjkeiser, Feb 23, 2005.

1. kjkeiser

kjkeiser Registered Member

Dec 22, 2004
    OK, I have set my mind on doing the following and want to see if anyone has done it before. Or if anyone has any suggestions. In the planning stages.......neither vehicle is purchased yet.

I am planning to build a 60-66 Suburban with the outdoors and family in mind.

Using a Mid 80's K20 frame & drive train.
    GM HT 383 Crate
    Nothing drastic with lifting maybe 2" body. (As I will be making custom mounts to mate up the two vehicles anyways)
    32 All terrain tires
    Disc brakes all around

Want it to be able to go down the highway for hours on end with out problems. Will be towing with it regularly, light loads of 5000lbs or less.

Let me know what you all think.
  2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Mar 18, 2002
    sounds solid to me, looks to be a neat idea too. you may not need to lift it for the 32's i dont know about the early burbs though
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

My brother had a 66 Suburban(2wd-boooo)--but it was the best looking truck chevy ever built in my opinion-(especially the panel trucks!)-I knew a few guys who had 4x4 factory versions of them too,they were unstoppable in the sand pits we used to wheel in..

I dont see why you would have any problems with reliability--after all,if you are going to use a later chassis and drivetrain,it wont be any more unreliable than the truck it was made from...sounds like a plan,with 4 wheel discs and a 383 motor--the 700R4 tranny is a maybe--if you are towing heavily a TH400 would be beefier,the overdrive is nice,but costly to have rebuilt properly to live long under heavy loads..-I assume you will use 8 lug axles ,a 14 bolt FF would be best in the rear..I'd love to find another Suburban in that 60-66 year range,I think they are COOL!...:cool1: