Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60 front pinion and knuckle question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chiefheaphy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

Are there any good tricks to get the pinion nut loose. I'm trying to be smarter than the gear but I think my pinion is a genius. MAybe grab the yoke with some big jaws?

Does the bottome plate on the knuckle just pry off? Should I heat it up ir just wedge something in there to pop it off.

Do the inner axle seals just pull out?

Do I make the biggest hex key in the universe to loosen the kingpin?

Thanks
    B

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Are there any good tricks to get the pinion nut loose. I'm trying to be smarter than the gear but I think my pinion is a genius. MAybe grab the yoke with some big jaws?

I just grab the yoke and hit it with my impact gun. If you don't have air tools, try a pipe wrench on the yoke. It will take quite a bit of force to get off (~300 ft. lbs.)

Does the bottome plate on the knuckle just pry off? Should I heat it up ir just wedge something in there to pop it off.

Does the lower cover just pop off? I think so.

Do the inner axle seals just pull out?

They don't pull out really. You have to remove the carrier and then get the old seals out (by prying them) and replace them. Getting the seals back in is a pain unless you have an axle seal installer tool

Do I make the biggest hex key in the universe to loosen the kingpin?

Well, yes :D

But, even if you make or buy a 7/8" allen wrench, you will have lots of trouble getting it out. They take 500-600 ft. lbs. to remove. Check this out:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556811

3. chiefheaphy

huge help

that link is awesome
    thanks for the help.

I'm having a hard time getting the lower piece out so the knuckle can come off.

How do you like the 465? do you run hydro or mech?

do you know anything about a 14ff out of a g30 van that is wicked wide? (wider than SRW 1-ton trucks?)

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I love my 465 and I still run the mechanical clutch. It works just fine for me.

The only thing that might be different about that 14 bolt is the hubs may be different.

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I had a hard time getting the lower plate off my 60 as well. I ended up working it back and forth with punch and hammer. It beat them up pretty bad so I replaced them. They are like $40 at Six States. Took me about an hour of beating on them a piece.

As for the kingpin, it took three good size guys with a six foot cheaper bar to break them loose. As it was out of the vehicle we had to have a couple people stand on it to keep it from moving. Also, Grainger has the allen to fit it.

Here is us working on the kingpin. LOL
    [​IMG]

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Do a search on the allen wrench. I think someone came up with the idea of using one of the deep lug nuts and it worked great.

7. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought just the hex insert for a Snap-on 7/8" allen socket and use it with a 3/4" drive 7/8" socket.

Gus

8. chiefheaphy

king pin removal

Problem solved!!!!

I welded a 2" square tube to the the kingpin solid. Then quickly wrapped a pipe wrench around the square with a breaker bar. I stood on the axle and put my weight on the bar. Couldn't have been easier. Heat from welding contracts the kingpin. To put new ones on I found a 7/8 allen key at a industrial tool store in Lowell, Ma called McGlinterks. To punch out the inner seals I used 1 1/4 gal. plumber pipe(threaded) with a coupler. You will have to grind the coupler down till it fits in the tube. The toughest part of the teardown for me were the lower bearing caps. I had to carefully cut one side out.

Some pics

Anyone have any good ideas for parts renewal/rust removal im really getting sick of wire brushes on grinders and drills?

kingpin removal.JPG

kingpins removed.JPG

inner axle seal remover & breaker bar.JPG