Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60" High lift is now too short!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jun 21, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

60\" High lift is now too short!

I'm only running 4" susp with 38.5's but I've relocated my bumpers up and away from the ground. Not a problem until I increased my flex and now the hi-lift jacks all the way to the top without pulling a tire off the ground. So, what kind of jack adapters or receivers have you all built to compensate?

2. 78Jimmyish

78Jimmyish 1/2 ton status

Re: 60\" High lift is now too short!

I've seen Grimmy talk about chaining his axle to the frame so he only has to lift a little bit. If I'm right, he only has a 48". I've started carrying a length of chain with me for that very reason. My 60" still gets me up off the ground, but why have to jack 50" when you can jack 15". So far, though (knock on wood) I haven't had to use it..

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Do grimmy's trick of chaining the axle to the frame before lifting. I have a 60" hilift and 4" susp lift with 35s. I had to change a tire on the side of the highway the other day. Jacking your rig up high enough with semis flying by to get a 35 off the ground and a new one under it is un-nerving. From now on, I carry some chain so i don't have to lift as high.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats a great idea! Thanks guys!

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have the same problem. In the back, The tires are still solidly planted when I hit the top. In the front, it's close, but no cigar. I've been using the chains. I can also get the rear off the ground just barely by clamping my Springer arms to the pads. Hmmm, that was before the reversed F150s... Bet that won't work at all any more...

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I just welded a link of chain to my frame(both sides) about an hour ago. I just heard about it this morning in another post. It works good.(I tried it out in my driveway) Im not going to let my truck fall over again.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My f-150 springs put me over the top too, and thats still hanging on the shocks about 5 inches from full droop. You should have seen me trying to get the body lift on with the f-150 springs in and shocks disconnected. I have to use my cherry picker attatched to the hitch in order to get the springs off the axle perches, but it only gets me an inch!

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm having to upgrade to the 60" jack now. My 48" is too small. Maybe I'll try the chain trick before I buy a new one. Does anyone know if they sell longer/taller jack for farm equipment or semi's?