Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60 installed, bumper made, winch mounted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The D60 is all bolted in. Just need to move my shocks out of the way of the tie rod, mount the ram, make a tie rod and drag link, find a pitman arm, get new u-bolts, and install the zero rate. Then at least the front end will be done.
    [​IMG]

Lockright is installed. Went pretty easy, and I took tons of step by step pics if anyone ever needs them.
    [​IMG]
    Got the bumper made out of the 8" piece of channel. Took 4 cutting discs just to cut the tapers. Not an easy bend to make either, had to heat it up with the torch till it was glowing, then set it on blocks and drop another K5 on it to make the bends.
    [​IMG]
    Went through the winch and gave it a bit of a rebuild. Brake was seized, clutch was seized, gears and shafts were rusted and pitted, bearings were dry and rusty, cable is kinked, motor didn't work, etc etc. The only surprising news, all the solenoids WORK! Unbelievable considering that they're ford solenoids. Anyway, the winch problems weren't anything a little sandpaper and grease couldn't fix.
    [​IMG]

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Looking good there :waytogo:

Hey by the way what type of paint did you use to paint your axles and what kind of prep work did you do prior?

How does it hold up when offroading?

I'm wanting to paint mine to make em look a little better.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    HAHA...4:20...on the floor:D

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I mostly just use krylon or rustoleum. For the axle, I took the angle grinder to it with a wire wheel. Then I primered it and gave it a coat of krylon spray. I'm still building the truck, so I can't tell you how it holds up offroad yet.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think we'd inhaled a lot of paint at that point. After painting a rim straight on the bare floor and finding out it left a black circle, we decided to turn it into a clock. Can't really explain that one, so I'll just blame it on paint fumes and a closed garage door.:doah:

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

what time did you set on that clock?

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I set it to the time you told me to.