Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60 locking hub disassembley problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nonesuch, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

The drive gear of the locking hub seems to be 'fused' to my stub shaft. The bearing hub is in great shape and not out of round, the lock and snap rings have been removed. I am not sure what to do now. I have tried everthing including a steering wheel puller which netted me the same results. Have any ideas?

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

The garage sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I ask a good question and get no reply's but "hey, look at what I saw" get's 1000 views and 100 reply's. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif BTT

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

maybe you should not post this in the garage if it sucks so much. use your membership to its fullest and post it in the correct year forum.

not sure what you tell ya, but have you tried heating it up, or using any penetrating oil? what kind of puller are you using exactly? if it is that rusted on there, just cut/torch the gear off and buy a new lockout.

good luck, hope you are enjoying the garage

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Have you tried using a hammer and drift to (carefully) knock the stub shaft back in towards the diff? The axle will move in and out slightly when the snap ring is removed, the combination of rocking the hub in and out along with tapping on the stub may break any corrosion loose.

I assume this is a 10 bolt (listed in your profile) and a standard issue Warn hub?

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I guess the use of emoticons doesn't show my sarcasim enough.
    The vehicle specific forums have as much traffic as a Sahara Desert road.

I have used heat as well and my next plan was to torch them off. There is not any visible rust inside. I was hoping that I was missing something simple and my extensive efforts would be crushed by 'oh did you remove this' from somebody. Torching them off is a last resort option because I will most likely damage the stub shaft and I had not planned on upgrading to 35 spline stubs just yet. I also was hoping I could re-use these locking hubs until I had more $$$ to purchase a 35 spline upgrade. Toasting these will force me to buy new locking hubs and I hate spending money twice so I will also be forced to go to 35 spline when I am in need of tires more than axle parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

nope, it's a 60 front. I am trying to get the freaking rotors turned and replace the races and bearings. I just updated my profile to match my current rig. tap tap tap tap method has been tried and unsuccesful. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Looks like I get to invest in 35 spline stuff sooner than I wanted too!