Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60 Years Ago today.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SkulzNBonz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

February 23, 1945. The Marines raised the American Flag on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima. The men of the American Armed Forces that fought, served, and died during WWII were some of the most selfless men to ever live. God Bless them all. Semper Fi, that is all.

John

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reminder! God Bless the Greatest Generation. Hell, these days the media would come down on those guys like a ton of bricks for "not respecting the culture of those poor innocent Japanese".

3. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever read "Flags of our Fathers" by James Bradley? He is the son of one of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima, and after his father died, he found a bunch of stuff in the attic that led him to write a book about the 5 guys who raised the flag. One of the greatest books I have ever read, right there next to Blackhawk Down, which in my opinion is the greatest military book of all time, and 10x better than the movie which was pretty damn good itself.

4. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Going to have to get the book. My Grandfrather was in the 1st Marines so he he missed Iwo only to fight on Okinawa.

Admiral William Bull Halsey had some Quotes that the media would call for his resignation. "Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!"