Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"600 Acres" Closed

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by Mastiff, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was just getting ready to test out my CUCV and I learn that 600 acres in Ely (near Cedar Rapids) is closed to all but cycles. What a kick in the teeth. :mad:

Where's the next best spot for someone in Cedar Rapids?

It's kinda far, but anyone know about this Timber Ridge Ranch place in Castana?

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

We have no public wheeling places in the state of Iowa, the DNR hates us and wishes we were dead.

Sorry man, I live here too...its a crock of ****

4. Mastiff

So where do you go then?

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Farm feilds in the fall that have been worked(my dads or buddys dads)

two lane dirt roads

The DNR havent ever come after us in my area, cops sure have though, theres a couple big mudholes by the lake here in emmetsburg that some yahoos tear all to ****, Ive never hit em cuz where they are at makes the lake look like ****, also the people that live close. Town cop came up to me one time my freshman year in college and asked me where all the Mud on my K10 came from, I told him he could take as much as he wanted to get analyzed cuz it was Sac County soil not Palo Alto. He said dirt was dirt...
    I got my agronomy book out and started to show him the map of Iowa and the different soil associations, he got all pissed off it was pretty funny though.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There are a few private places to wheel. I know of one place in Woolstock IA that has a quad track and some woods with a creek but nothing special and its like $15 a day or something like that. If you were really interested in going there I could get you directions. The club Central Iowa 4 Wheelers has 20 acres or so that they wheel on near Osceola with a washout and a few hills, not much but it's something.

The only REAL wheeling spot is south of Knoxville IA and it is wheeling land for the club Make it or break it 4 wheelers. You have to be a member of their club and pay a daily fee to wheel there but it is over 300 acres of old strip mine land and it is the real deal.

The Iowa Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs is working hard to get a place to wheel but its a time, money, insurance, red tape B-S situation so things are slow to materialize.

I bought a tow rig and go wheeling out of state mostly. That is really the only option we have.

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I also found out that membership's are by invitation only. So in other words you have to "know a guy that know's a guy" or something like that to get a membership there. Sounds like a lot of BS to me. We'll just keep making the drive down to Tuttle Creek at Randolph, Ks this year. :D

Rick

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My crew is planning a trip to tuttle creek the 2nd weekend in June.

9. rick88blaze

I'd love to meet you down there, but I'll be leaving that weekend to go to Wichita Falls, Tx for about 5 weeks. We are talking about going down there Memorial Day weekend if you'd like to join us. :D

Rick

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Gotta spend quality time with the family over the holiday weekend. Maybe some other time though!

11. rick88blaze

I'll let you know any other time we are going.

I hope I don't sound like a dick saying this, but we always take teh family down there when we go. The only reason my wife might not go is if I don't rent a camper, even then she still might go. (she's not quite an outdoorsman yet). :D

Rick

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I don't think the comment you made sounded dick-ish.

My wife went with me to Rockport 2 weeks ago and she liked it but my kids get scared and don't like offroading so we have our separate campouts.

13. rick88blaze

That's almost how my wife is. When she goes she would much rather have a camper than sleep in a tent. For that matter, she wouldn't sleep in a tent at all. I'm hoping that will change this year. If I can get a truck in the next couple of weeks maybe I can convince her to sleep in it. :D

Rick

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

600 Acres?....you mean "Lakeview OHV Park"?

http://www.iowadnr.com/news/06apr/atv2.html

:angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

"The park had deteriorated to the point that it was unsafe. The Corps had limited resources for improvements," explained David Downing, Snowmobile and ATV programs manager for the DNR. "Lack of maintenance, equipment and the use of full-size vehicles in the area created environmental damage and a dangerous mix of traffic, with all the smaller vehicles. By designating it an 'All Terrain Vehicle Riding Area" and creating the management lease program, the park is now eligible for funding from the ATV registration fund."
    While restricting full size vehicles will affect some users, it should improve safety and recreation for 60,000 registered OHV owners in Iowa. "It comes down to the safety of those who are paying for the park," emphasized Downing. "We want people to know we are serious about vehicle safety and compliance with the rules. We want to see Lake View OHV Park as a safe area for family recreation." Also, liability insurance on the area covers only registered off highway vehicles."

:angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

What the hell ever!

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

How was it unsafe? How did full size vehicle access help contribute to envrionmental damage? WTF did we do the DNR to make them hate us so bad? We will NEVER get any help from them. Unless one of us wins the lottery and buys some good wheeling land we are screwed.

The only unsafe things I ever noticed were the quads driving 45 mph through the trails. What a joke. The Iowa DNR needs to QUIT ignoring our user group, this is discrimination as far as I concerned and I hope they get their asses sued off. There is no evidence that wheeling a full size rig causes any more envrionmental damage than 1000 quads driving over the same piece of ground.

It is too bad all the lawyers and doctors are into loud frikkin motorcycles and trying to look like tough guys in $10,000 leather outfits. Maybe if they had comp buggies we would have a 1000 acre park?

16. Mastiff

I wonder if a private park could survive in eastern Iowa. How many people do you think would show per year at, say, $20 per vehicle per day?

17. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am sure there would be many many days where no one showed up at all. But on holiday weekends, events, comps, and things like that you would get a big turnout. I bet there were 200-300 people at russ hogans camp ground this weekend so if its good wheeling people will come!

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

It all comes down to the almighty dollar. The DNR gets revenue from the ATV users becuse they must purchase a $50 sticker in order to be legal. The DNR gets $0 from the 4X4 crowd.

I agree, the only unsafe behavior was from the ATV's & cycles. The trucks aren't they guys tearing through there at full throttle.....narrowly missing trucks, people and winch cables.

This still pisses me off and will for a long time......:angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Count me in......as long as there is no wheelbase limit.:doah: :D