Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$600 for a vortec 350 with 75K about right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kw48653, Jun 4, 2004.

1. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

in my crate engine search, i have decided (due to my bank account) that a later model vortec is what i need. i found one with 75k for $600 and was hoping for some input on the price and on the difficulty of install on an 89 with tbi.

2. kw48653

well, i got it for $444. now i have to figure out how to get the thing out of the back of the suv. damn it looks heavy!

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sweet price. what all was included???

4. kw48653

i got everything from the fi to the exhaust manifold, but i'm planning to srip it down to the long block, add a tbi intake manifold and use all my old tbi stuff for simplicity.

5. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

Why didnt you just buy some heads and slap them on your old block. Sounds like thats what your doing anyway, just the expensive way around.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are prepared to buy the $300+ GM TBI Vortec intake, or buy an aftermarket carbed vortec intake and adapter, right?

Your intake will NOT fit the Vortec intake, and can not be made to fit it correctly. (well, for any price within reason) The intake ports are different.

7. kw48653

well, the short block is what i needed, as mine turned itself into scrap metal. my delimna is definitely the intake. i'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep the vortec heads or use my old ones. it is hard to cough up the 300 for the vortec manifold with tbi, but it is also hard to pass up those 30 horsepower(from what i have heard).

guess it comes down to money like everything else.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

not bad.. I got a 1991 9C1 caprice police motor which is a vortec block and hydraulic roller lifters and cam for $600.. it had 80k miles on it... I had to change the intake as I converted the TBI to carb... and it was so fricken clean!!! check here...
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/htm/2002_b.htm

now I need to decide if im gonna put vortec heads and new intake on the 9c1!!!!

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats not a Vortec block. They didn't exist until 1996. In any case, short of a few slight variations, the 1986+ blocks are all the same. Bore/stroke, one piece rear main, provisions for roller cam, etc. Have we been over this before?

Back to original poster...Vortec heads are a good swap, but as I said, can be expensive. Some on here must have gone with a carb to TBI adapter on a dual plane intake, that is probably the cheapest route. My edelbrock carbed vortec intake I bought a few years back was $150 new. How much are adapters, and how much work to make the throttle/TV cables work is the question with that idea.

10. kw48653

well rootbreaker, over the next couple of weeks i'm about to find out every piece you might possibly need for that vortec/tbi swap. let me know if you every go through with it and i'll hook ya up with what i have learned.

so far, i have found it to be much more expensive than i had ever thought it would. new vortec/tbi intake, new distributor gear, and the list will grow.

11. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Where do you live? I'll take that whole engine off your hands if you decide not to work with it.

Andy

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    well rootbreaker, over the next couple of weeks i'm about to find out every piece you might possibly need for that vortec/tbi swap. let me know if you every go through with it and i'll hook ya up with what i have learned.

so far, i have found it to be much more expensive than i had ever thought it would. new vortec/tbi intake, new distributor gear, and the list will grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went from TBI to carb...
    picked up a 1987 z-28 intake for $15 and put a truck avenger on it.. used my old distributor.... I didnt want a brain in my truck.. nice and stupid.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. kw48653

realsquash, a long, long way away in houston, tx.