The story is basically that I burned up the 3-4 clutch in my 60e and needed a strong cheap fix(less than the cost of built to the hilt 60e, whose reliability was questionable in my land yacht). After much looking and quite a bit of help from Eric B. and others accross forum land, I settled on the 80e. Now the question became, what year 80e could I use being it was going into a 97 truck with OBDII. Well it turned out I can use any 80e all the back from 91 if I needed, I just had to update the internal and external harness's(~$100 off ebay) if I used a 91-93 unit. It was stressed to me that newer was better as, of course with all production runs, changes were made for the better. With this knowledge in my hand I thought Id try and find a cheap core and rebuild it myself to save cost as I have all the time I really chose to take on the project. I found 91 cores for $100, I found 93 running for $450, the list wen ton and on. With some help, I waited patiently to find a good deal instead of a mediocre deal. Finally after checking craigslist multiple times a day, it popped up, a 96 80e out of a 4x4(no tailshaft swapping), runnable with a deep pan and the d-drop 241 still attached for a grand total of $400 within 20 minutes of my house. With the transmission at home, I spent some time cleaning it up, but life has for the most part gotten in the way. Finally I got some time to start the transmission removal. I built a tranny adaptor out of some peices of 2x4 tube and a long 5/8" bolt(the welder has opened huge new possibilities). Then I had to go about pulling driveshafts, the t-case, crossmembers, the starter, dust cover, all the cooler lines and electric connections and the torque converter bolts. Im left with the 60e hanging on by the 6 bellhousing bolts. In the mean time I kept looking for deals as I still needed a few parts, I found a torque converter to go with it for $40. Im still however short the dustcover, something may be occuring this weekend however on that front. In the mean time, I still needed to swap the inputs on my transfer case from 27 spline to 32 spline. Ive procured another p-drop 32 spline unit in some trading from before the d-drop unit attached to the transmission showed up so Ill be using that as Im saving the d-drop for future possibilities. I pulled the 241 Im using apart this evening to get the 27 spline input out. After a bit of prying, argueing and some threats I managed to get it out into its peices. All apart to get to this: Tore down the other 241 p-drop to get the 32 spline input out of it, it basically fought me every second of the way. I guess you just never know when it comes to JY cases. I have to put it back together at some point with the 27 spline input, but Im about at the end of my t-case building mind. Still have to take the back half of the d-drop apart for the oil pump tomorrow morning or Tues. There was some talk about the 32 spline inpuut having a different bearing and seal, but that proved to be not true. The 32 spline in its new home. The 80e with the transfer case adaptor measured out to be 2" longer than the 60e similiarly equiped so Ill gain a little length in my front driveshaft which will help the angle a few degree's. I also weighed the two with converters in and transfer case adaptors. The 60e came in at 185lbs and the 80e came in at 240lbs. Only 65 lbs difference and the 80e has a large +3 qt pan attached with fluid in it so the difference is probably closer to 50lbs stock to stock.