Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

60g's

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Nov 30, 2003.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

60g\'s

well, my 11g's were starting to die, i had 2 non functional. i had a set of carquest gp's to put in, but after reading about how everyone loves the 60g's, i went and bought a set of those. installed them all, and now it starts worse than it did with the 11g's. i have a manual controler, and all the conections are good. no dead wires, nothing.

today was a harder start in 40* weather than the 11g's were in 20* weather, and there were 2 of those that were dead. could i have gotten a bad set? all i know is that these things were not cheap and now im pissed.

it is the same fuel in the tank, the only difference is that i put a k&n filter in at the same time, and the old one was the worst looking filter i have ever seen. i dont know how air flowed through it. could it not be getting enough fuel now? too much air? anybody have any suggestions, other than put the 11g's back in, or try the carquest ones, cause i think i am going to do that anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Re: 60g\'s

The 60gs heat slower than the 11s or 9s but they will not burn out. Hold them on for 15 seconds or so and see how it starts. www.kennedydiesel.com also has a set of quick heat that will not burn out, they heat as fast or faster than the 11s or 9s.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

thats why i have the manual controler wired up, i let them heat for almost 20 seconds, and still harder to start. maybee next payvheck ill check out the kennedy ones.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In 40 degree weather I let mine heat for about 8-10 seconds, 1/4 throttle and it fires right up. How's your cranking speed?

In 20 degree weather I let em glow for about 12 seconds and full throttle...no problems.

Rene

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i dont really have any way to judge the cranking speed, other than it cranks faster than my toyota. or at least it sounds like it does. it really doesnt make much sense to me, because so many people have had such good luck with them. but it really did start easier with the 11's, and only 6 worked.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

well, the last few days it has started better. still the same fuel. i almost think its the battery's. this truck came from southern New Mexico, so it has 750 CCA batterys. maybee the 60g's are pulling a little more juice and slowing the cranking speed down? i think i am going to go get a set of 1000 CCA battery's and see if that helps. i hate to do it, cause these batterys are almost brand new.

7. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

750 CCAs should be fine, have them tested first.

8. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If you haven't yet, you may want to check the amps at each glow plug. If you don't have an amp meter you could use a high beam headligh (sound crazy but my old diesel teacher swears by it!)

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

the amperage at each glow is good. the past 2 days it has started a little better than the 11g's, but it has yet to get as cold. i guess time will only tell. it has me stumped, but o well. as long as it starts better than it did with the 11g's i am happy.

10. tRustyK5

It might be a good idea to check the compression on your 6.2.

If the compression is on the low side it'll be harder to start as it relies on compression to generate enough heat for ignition.

Minimum compression should be over 325 psi cranking pressure.

Rene

11. tRustyK5

One other thing you can check, and it's not that hard to do...get some 1/4" clear tubing and install it from the front of the injection pump to the return line 'T'. Start the motor and watch the clear line when it's running. If there is any air in the system you'll see bubbles in the clear line. This will confirm or deny whether you have an air leak somewhere causing the bad starts.

Rene

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i checked compression before i payed for it, it has 1 piston on the drivers side bank that is right on the border of 325. i guess that 1 low piston would explain the slight blue smoke from that exhaust pipe on startup

anywho, this morning i was scraping the windsheild and it started right up, only a second, maybee two of cranking. it was just below 30* out. i am really confused, it almost seems like the glow plugs had to break in, but that is rediculous. GP's dont have break in periods.

i know it sounds crazy, but thats really what it seems like happened. i know i sure cant figure it out. i think i am still going to upgrade battery's anyway, just to do it.

13. tRustyK5

Weird...but cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Weird...but cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly. but it starts better now, so i wont complain.

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

17* accordint to my thermometer this moring, and she fired right up. now i just have to put in my new block heater.

16. tRustyK5

Excellent!!

Have fun with the block heater, that job would be so much easier without the motor mount partially in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene