Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

61.5" rim ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by new2k5, Jan 25, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

61.5\" rim ?\'s

i just bought a set of 16.5 " rims with some 33at's to run after my axel swap. i know 16.5 break beads easier but how bad are they? if i end up running bias ply tires and only airing down to12 psi would i be alright? how many people have actually broken a bead on em?

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Re: 61.5\" rim ?\'s

61.5 got my atten. Big tires to fit them.{Ha Ha}Really now.Check around at trailer supply shops.I am running 16.5x6.75 steel wheels on front and they have safety bump like 15s.Got mine at yard sale in Fla couple years ago.Size is stamped into them.I was going to use centers to make 8 lig 15s,but,center part was to large.Stock 16s fill fit right into 15in rally wheels.These are 4000lb rated trailer wheels,they're heavy.Wish i had two more to have made into beadlocks.There are alum.wheels out there with safety lips too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 16.5\" rim ?\'s

I had a set of 35x12.5x16.5 BFG Mud Terrains. At 18 PSI I drove right out of two tires! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've got 15 inch wheels now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i guess after my lift i will have to bite the bullet and get 17's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why blow the big bucks on 17" rims and tires? Run 15's and call it a day. I'm running 15's on my D60 front and 14FF rear...

rene

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Plenty of people out there have ground their calipers to run 15s with no probs,or run a wheel with a shallow offset. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i think 15 rims are too smal for big trucks. they just dont look right. plus lets say i am drivin down the road and a caliper freezes up on me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifafter i hitch hike to the nearest parts store how am i gonna grind a caliper on the side of road. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You could just bypass that caliper to get you home. I've been running 15" rims on my 1 ton stuff and I'm glad I did it. Its real easy to find good used tires and I am able to air down without to much trouble.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    lets say i am drivin down the road and a caliper freezes up on me. after i hitch hike to the nearest parts store how am i gonna grind a caliper on the side of road.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're driving down the road and a caliper freezes up it ain't going to stop you from driving...it'll just pull a bit when you brake. So you won't have to hitch hike and you won't have to fix it on the side of the road...

You'd drive to the parts store when it was convenient and either pick up a caliper rebuild kit or another caliper and either rebuild the ground caliper or grind the new one...at home and at your convenience.

I prefer more sidewall over more rim, factor in availability (and price) and bead retention and 15's get my vote. The only other tire rim combo I'd conside would be Hummer beadlocks...

Rene

10. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

as far as 17's being expensive the ones i want are only 134 a peice. granted alot of them are close to 300 a peice and the tire prices really arent that much more per tire just not as mony available. i am debateing between 37 12.5 sr's and parnelli jones of the same size