Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

6274165 - NP205 shift boot part no.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 26, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a new shift boot for my 205. I paid $26 for it through a resto catalog and it has the GM part no. 6274165 on the box.
    GMpartsdirect sells it for half that price.
    Passing it along...
    I also ordered a boot for my SM465, but it's BO'd. When it comes in, I'll post a part no. if it comes in a GM box.
    -- Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I looked up the 205 boot for the '85/86 trucks, and it showed it as coming with the retainer plate as well. Not sure why, but hey. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It makes sense to check with GM first, OEM parts are cheaper through GMpartsdirect any time I've looked, compared to OEM parts sold by someone else.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Mine is just the rubber boot. It has four holes in it and the hole for the shifter is offset to the side about an inch. I know later 205's used different boots and retainers.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dorian, you're talking about the steel plate that holds the boot down to the floor, right?
    If so, what's the part number for this one? I've gotten just the boot since the dealership here could not find the steel plate anywhere in their catalogs. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They changed the design (not sure what year). The old style had a rubber boot that was held down by a metal retainer ring. After the changeover, the two peices were integrated. The rubber (or whatever material that is), is now molded around a redesigned steel ring. I only found this out after trying to order the rubber boot and ring for my 80 and the dealer showed me the "new" listing for it as a single piece. I put it in my truck and actually like it better, as I used to scratch the metal ring. Now you can't even tell with the protective rubber coating.

6. dyeager535

I was *hoping* that the later boots/retainers fit the NP208 cutout, but according to Westy, even the later ones had the same bolt pattern for the retainer as the "old" ones. I guess your '80 using the one piece setup tends to confirm that eh?

The 1 ton t-case shifter cutout must have been done with a sawzall at the factory lol. I even tried looking up the floor sheet metal (the tranny tunnel) to see if 1 tons were different there, apparently not, which seems to indicate one tons had 2wd tunnels, or 4wd tunnels without the 208 cutout. Since you can't remove the '85/86 tunnels without drilling the spot welds, I've gotta come up with another way to mount the shifter plate/boot assembly, short of screwing it straight through the floor.

7. Leadfoot

Yes, they are the same bolt/screw pattern (just integrated into one piece instead of two). I have had very LITTLE experience with the 208's and even less with the spot welded tranny humps in the newer "old style" GM's, so I can't help you much there.

I just (as in last Sunday) took the plastic plate with indicator, and boot off of Noangel's 88. Except for the shift pattern being different, I would think that the setup would work for the 205 (or is it placed differently on the hump)? With a little creativity and a some patience, you could probably make your own shift indicator window to match the 205 shift pattern. The plastic piece that moves the indicator in the window, rides on the the shifter shaft and is slotted so it would follow the straight back and forth throw of the 205 shifter, even though it was designed for the offset pattern of the 208. If that makes any sense /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    To the untrained eye it would look as though you have a 208 case (or at least the 208 shift shaft and indicator console), when you actually have the 205. Somebody may have done this, and if you have, please let us know. If not, it would be cool to see if it is doable (which I think it is).

8. dyeager535

I would probably have already tried the 208 shifter with the 205 if I hadn't tossed my 208 shifters long ago. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've since stopped throwing away parts. If anyone wants to GIVE me a 208 shifter, I'll see what I can do to make it work with the 205. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You have to bend the 205 shifter handle slightly to get it to clear the 208 hole (205 shifter is closer to vehicle center than the 208 shifter asembly) but thats it for the shifter.

The 208 shifter use an "S" shift pattern for lack of a better description (back from 2hi to 4hi, then right and down for neutral, and back one more for 4lo as I recall) which would have to be modified somehow for the 205's 4lo, neutral, 2hi, 4hi pattern, but that would be cosmetic only, save for the "jog" that the 208 shifter takes to the right, but it's less than an inch as I recall.

I believe the only necessary change would be to modify the 208 shifter to push as close to straight back on the center of the 205 "shift rail connector" (what the 205 shifter attaches to with the short rod) as possible. Probably need a bracket bolted to the end of the 208 shifter assmebly or something, but I think there are some bolt holes where the linkage from the 208 would bolt up, that could be used to mount a bracket on.

9. dyeager535

Sorry for the extremely long delay in reply! I knew the parts manual was sitting here for a reason.

According to the parts manual, the boot/retainer setup is 3 pieces, but you can only buy them as 2 pieces: The cover plate (plastic?) is 14032789. (GM calls it Plate, boot trim) Whatever its made out of, its the "visible" retainer. Looks like the screws go through it, then through the second "retainer" which clamps the boot down tight.

The "second retainer" (caled "retainer" by GM) and boot are listed separately, but the note says the retainer is included with the boot, so no part number for each separately.

Those two pieces are part # 14071955.

Hope those help!

10. Leadfoot

Now I'm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    My original setup was two pieces (rubber boot and metal "trim" ring) and the the "new" setup from GM is 1 piece (boot and ring molded as one).
    Is this another GM screwup, or is it me? Probably just me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I could technically install my old "trim" ring over the new 1 piece boot and plate, as all the holes would line up, but when I went to get a new trim plate from GM they said it was no longer available, as it is now incorporated with the boot. Maybe just some parts guy talking out his butt?????

11. dyeager535

No, the "new" (at least 85/86) setup IS 3 separate pieces, but according to the parts manual, you can NOT buy it as 3 pieces. (listed as 3 pieces, shown as 3 pieces, but 2 part numbers. Make sense? Of course not.)

The separate piece is the trim one. The piece that you would see if you were sitting in a complete unmolested truck. The boot/retainer that come together are not physically bonded (from the picture) just not available separate. Make sense?

In other words, if you order 14071955, you will get the boot, and the metal(? not sure if its metal, but thats all I've seen in person) retainer that holds it in place. From the pic it looks like as installed the retainer (not trim plate)is made out of "U" shaped steel (as installed, the points of the U face towards the roof) if that makes any sense. If it doesn't, the retainer is still in the shape of the shifter cutout on the tranny tunnel, but instead of the metal plate being flat steel, its U channel steel. All by itself, (without the trim plate) you'd probably assume it was supposed to go with the points of the U facing the ground.

If you order 14032789 you will get ONLY the trim plate (not sure if metal or plastic) that hides the above metal retainer from passengers in the truck, and makes it all look pretty. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At least with this 85/86 manual I can't see how a parts guy can make a mistake if he's actually looking at a pic (and I think they can) since it CLEARLY shows the 3 pieces in the order that they are bolted to the tranny tunnel. No scanner or I'd send you the pic, but it is that simple.

Boot goes on first. Then upside down U retainer. Then the trim piece.

12. Leadfoot

My problem could have been that it was for an 80 pickup and that is what I specified. I should have checked for a 1 ton in the later 80's but I wasn't sure if the shifter holes were the same or not as mine was mated to a 350 and the 1 ton's used a 400. I wasn't sure (back then) if it made a difference or not. Next time I go (if I remember), I will check into it.

I have also noticed that parts listed for older 73-87 trucks do not have good pictures or descriptions, but 85 or so and up have better ones with better descriptions. The only problem is that only a % of items were the same throughout all/most years.

Thanks for the info though. It will give me a better chance of finding what I need next time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dyeager535

FWIW, from the pics, it *looks* like the plate uses the same 4 screw in a "+" pattern as all the other 205 setups, but these are "drawings", so you never know, they could just be carry over pictures from earlier years, and not actually representative of the '85/86.

Perhaps thats another issue too. Maybe the 85/86 ARE bonded together, but since they are separate pieces, they are shown as two. Doesn't make sense anyways, if there are 3 pieces, and 3 pieces pictured, you'd *think* you could get all of them separately.