Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" 88+ 1/2ton rear spring center pin location??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 5, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

63\" 88+ 1/2ton rear spring center pin location??

I am going to the junkyard tomorrow to get a bunch of stuff for pretty cheap. I want to look for 57" ford springs but I know there is a like 90 1/2 ton sitting there that I can get the springs from for like $40. I'd like to keep her all Chevy anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Anyone know the center pin location on the 63s? I know I will have to move the rear shackle mount back on the frame as well as shackle flip it and longer shackle. I know at least one person has done it here and was happy.

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" 88+ 1/2ton rear spring center pin location??

The center pin is just that, Center! I had to move my back hanger back as far as I cold, 8" and use a 8" long shackle and still move the front hanger forward 2".... It was a complete pain in the A$$ to do, but I"m sure the work will pay off as soon as I get here out to test the flex! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

does sound like quite a pain. Hmm measuring and that body mount right in front of the spring hanger is annoying. if not for that it would be easy.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Yup.. if you want pics let me know and I'll go out and take some! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally!

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

It's raining like cats and dogs today, but if it lets up after work, I'l take a couple for you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

63in springs wow thats almost a foot longer then my stockers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If moving the front hanger shounds like a pain then don't...
    Just inboard the springs under the frame. I am almost thinking of going that way but it might flex too much /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It has been done though...

9. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i put 63's in my k5. you will have to move the front spring hangers foward to make them fit. mine are under the body mounts and in the rear i ended up using another set of front hangers with some trimming to do a shackle flip. as mentioned earlier the center pin is in the center. it only took a few hours of grinding and some drilling to get them in. it was well worth the time to do. at a recent get together a local club had a rti contest and i managed a 805 on a 30 degree ramp. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif now my problem is getting the right legnth shocks for my k5.

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here are those pics I promised you!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These were the front, it has the 52" springs from the rear on there.... All I did was move the front spring hanger to the other side of the body mount, and use an extended rear hanger in the stock location...
    Here is the rear as you asked for:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the rear, 63" springs with the rear hanger moved back, the front holes in the hanger used the back original holes in the frame to give you an idea of how far I moved it! The shackle is 8" long from Echobit and the shackle flip is from him too... The front hanger was moved forward 2-2.5" I reused one of the holes from the original factory setup, you can see wich one if you look closely! Sorry for the darkness of the pics, but I haven't gotten home from work till late and I know you were wanting these pics! Hope they help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

yowza!....

you should not be wanting more flex with that setup...../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Marv

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What about front shocks? I see stock location.

13. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

are those stock 57's? or are they re-arched.how much lift do you have? i am planning on doing the same thing to mine.do you have any pics showing your front flexing? are those shackles from hill? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The shocks are in the stock location, I've basically setup the front to droop ALOT and only compress about 4"... The shocks are 13.25" travel and I have 14" travel for the rear, just haven't mounted them... The shocks costed me $100 for all 4 at Orielly's! I fixed my last post, the front are 52", not 57" Sorry about that... They are straight stock springs, not rearched, I am running zero rate on the front as well to give me about 5.5" of lift total and the shackles are Hill Shackles... The Zero rates help recenter the axle back close to stock location... The 52s move the front way far forward... I haven't taken the truck out yet, but I hope to have pics of the flex soon, I will post them when I get them! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Bump... I was SEARCHING and found this post /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif