Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" leaves on a 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Triaged, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

63\" leaves on a 1st Gen?

Has anyone put the 63" IFS (89-9?) rear springs in the rear of a 1st Gen Blazer (or any Chevy)? I have a line on a set and think I am going to try it. I already have a shackle flip in the rear so I should be able to move that back (and swap sides) to get the shackle mount taken care of...the front is what would be the hard part. The front hanger is on the area of the frame that slopes down and the body mount might be in the way? I have thought about buying another shackle flio bracket from ORD and bolting it in as the front hanger but I would like to use the stock hanger to save some $$$ (I need to buy shocks to replace my stiff rs5000's). What-ya-think?

2. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" leaves on a 1st Gen?

thats what i was going to put on mine. just have to figure out how.. sounds like your on the right track
    LOL

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

I was staring at my bare frame and wondering about that same thing. The forward mount is tricky, but I'm betting that if you drill out the rivets and notch the corner of it, you could bring it forward to interlock with the cab support.

You're still in the "angled" part of the frame, so it seems like it's possible.....then move the rear shackle flip bracket as far back as you can and install them on the "wrong" sides of the truck for a little extra spring length.

I haven't added it all up, but I betcha it's pretty close to your 63" number!

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

By my calculations I will need to move the front mounting point 4.5" to the front (to have the axle end up 1" to the rear). At the moment I am thinking that I could move the hanger and rotate the bottom twards the front <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/9/61/90/36096190PHtDWu_ph>like this</a>...I wonder where I got those frame pics to splice together?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

HA! That's funny! I haven't seen the frame that gross and dirty in a long time!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You've pictured exactly what I imagined. The bracket needs to be notched on that right side to "jigsaw puzzle" onto the cab support, and it looks like maybe the lower "cradle" will have to be modified slightly if you are going to want to mount it at the height you are showing.

I was thinking about letting it mount slightly lower and maybe gain a little extra "lift".

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I would strongly recommend using atleast 2 factory rivet/bolt holes. That way you know its going to be square and greatly simplifies installation.

It might pull the front spring eye down a bit, or place the axle in less than a "ideal" position. But trying to drill un-guided holes, and keep it even side-to-side is difficult.

If you do decide to move it, like whats in the pic above, use a template that can be bolted inplace using factory bolt holes. Then just flip the template around for the other side.
    Measure twice and drill once.

-2nd gen, full topper here. W/ 63" rears and 52" fronts. I'll see if I have a pic of how I did it-

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/21723964/36126230vDdPeg>http://community.webshots.com/photo/21723964/36126230vDdPeg</a>
    Moved the 90 degree bracket forward to the cross member, bolted it up (just happend to be perfect/forums/images/icons/smile.gif). Then bolted the U shaped spring hanger to the 90 and drilled my holes in the frame. It took some time to figure it out tho'.
    Really pretty slick, the springs are very soft and will twist forever.

BTW: Can anyone see my side pic?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Cool...thanks for the advice. It would suck to get it all bolted up and have the truck "dog-track".