Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63 or 56??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basing110, Sep 5, 2005.

1. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

im about to put my new 2" lift 52" up front but i need to do the rear suspension soon.. i was thinking about just doing 56" rear and swap the ord shackle flip around and use a 7.25" eye to eye lowering shackle which i have no idea if stock 56" will give me any lift?? but i have been reading about the 63" swap and i have a couple questions about that swap ... will it flex better than 56" springs?will stock 63" give me any lift?if so how much? should i run a 7.25" lowering shackle and just move my shackle flip back farther on the frame to get the proper shackle angle? also my front axle will be forward the 1.5" from the 52 swap and ill be moving it another 1.5" with zero rates .. so what is an ideal wheelbase to have? im running 44's so if i do 63" and 52" ill have a 115" wheelbase.. is that to large?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A stock 56 won't give you any more lift than a stock 52 with the same length shackles.
    A 63 should flex better than a 56 but too flexy is possible. PM KidJethro and see how he likes his.
    A 63 requires moving the mounting points of the spring, where you put them determines the lift, otherwise no, they won't.
    If you use the existing front mount and just move the rear one back, it will move your axle~5.5" backwards. I think the pins in 63's are centered so direction shouldn't matter.
    I don't think a 115" wheelbase is too large for 44's at all, but I have EXTREMELY limited experience when playing with wheelbases. Mine sits at ~ 109" right now and I'm going to try and strech it to 115" before I'm done.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depending on what you get the 63s (mine measure 64) your ride height will be different. I moved the front hanger forward ~3" so the axle went back like 2.5-3".

I run 56s in the front and 64s in the rear. I moved the front axle forward ~4.5" and the rear axle rearward ~2.5" to end up with a 113" wheelbase. I need some new 56s in the front but other than that I'm happy with what I've got.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

63's in the rear will require relocation of both front spring hanger & rear shackle mount for the rear springs. 56's use stock location on both, just reversal of the shackle flip kit (left on right, right on left)

I considered doing 63's at first and went against it because I would have to loose my saddle bag fuel tank. Though I plan to do that, I was/am still not ready to do that yet, and the 56's have proven to be more than adequate for insane flex

Mike

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

im hoping maybe tonight or later this week i am gonna test fit a set of 63's and my diy flip and switch ill let everyone know how they work and what needs to be moved.

ryan