Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" Rear Spring Q.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

63\" Rear Spring Q.

Has anyone done the 63" swap on a rig originally equipped with 56" springs? Could an ORD flip be bolted on (swapped side to side), a 2" longer shackle used, and swap in the 63's while running an aggressive rearward shackle angle? Would this be feasible with the stock shackles? TIA. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" Rear Spring Q.

Unless you relocated your flip brackets back about 6" your going to have to run a 12" shackle to make up the difference /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

How much longer of a spring can be used by swapping the brackes side to side? I understood that this could be done on a 52" spring-equipped truck to run the ford 57's with the stock or a slightly longer shackle. Thought I could get away with doing it and going from 56" to 63" with a longer shackle only...or maybe slight rearward relocation...just wondering exactly how lazy I could be. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Swapping side to side gains you 2" difference, or 1" over stock. Running that 1" plus a 2" longer shackles gives you just barely enough to run 57's with an extreme shackle angle (needed to provide a full cycle on the 57's)

You could fab up a bar that rests on a bump stop and relocates the shackle back a ways while still pivoting in the flip bracket... make it so you can lock it against the bump stop for street driving

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I haven't done it yet, but the center pin on the 63" spring is exactly dead center, while the 56 chev and 57" fords are offset towards the front. I looks to me that you can do what you describe, but you will have to push the front spring hanger forward about 7". This looks to put the back of the spring right behind the rear hanger so it should look abouth the same position as BorregoK5's truck on the 56" position. The only problem I see regarding this is I'll have to fab a new Ebrake cable mount as the stock is attached to right side front spring mount. I'm about to do this swap and will check positions before drilling holes. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    This truck is running 63's I think:
    [​IMG]

tom