Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" rear spring question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jul 7, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

In order to mount these springs in the rear, am I going to need to relocate the forward part of the spring hangers? The rears I know will need to be moved back, but what about the front hangers and how far?

I have an '85 short bed bare frame laying in the yard and got to thinking why not build a 'flexer' with this 'junk' thats laying around. So, I have been beating my head about doing the 63" route for the rear. I was also thinking of doing some lengthening on the front too. Something that I can use the rear springs on the front. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I remember someone on this site doing this set up. Who was it? I remember seeing some pics on his site about using the longer springs in front and rear.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" rear spring question

Hey man quit thinking and just do it !!!!

Then you can tell all of us how to do it.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Westy,

That was Twiztid (Eric) that had 52"ers up front and 63"ers in the rear of a 74 Blazer project...send him a pm.

He's got some great ideas for how to make it all work, and some improved ideas after he did it the way he did...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Doesn't Stephen have them too?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. thatK30guy

Thanks Rene!!! [​IMG]

I just can't seem to get rid of this frame laying in the yard, so, might as well make it of some use. So, the longer spring thing popped in my head. [​IMG] Gonna see what I can find for the springs and follow Erics route.

BTW, what year did the teflon-lined rear springs start in the K5's? Were they something like '88 or '89?

6. Re: 63\" rear spring question

i have rear springs (52s) out of an 87 k5 on my rig and they have the teflon pads. hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

7. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Those 63" IFS rear springs have the pin in the center and the shortbed frame will have the 52" spring so you will be moving those hangers some unless you plan on relocating your rear axle back 5 1/2" which is not likely. I think those good Blazer springs were 87-91.
    RGF

8. thatK30guy

Yeah, I was planning on moving all the mounts to compensate for each length. I remember Twiztid had some pics on the site and he did the same thing I want to do.

Everybody, how much can I expect to pay for the rear teflon-lined springs from the 87-91 K5's and the longer 63" springs from the newer trucks?

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

-K30- Dude!

I did the 52" F / 63" R springs on my '74 Jimmy. It's a pretty sweet deal. Practicly a bolt up on '73-'80 K5s, with some drilling required. When I get the final brackets cut and mounted I'll take some pics and post it. Hopefully these will come out better then the last batch.

The frames are different on '81 and up K5s, and the saddle tanks will get in the way on the trucks- So with those, its will be different than what I did. I'll run over to my friends house and take a look at his truck- see if there is enuff room to move the front hanger forward. But I'm kinda think the tanks are too far back and right in the way.

Twiztid

10. thatK30guy

Cool Eric!!! [​IMG] Can't wait to see the pics again!

BTW, I will be using a short wheel base frame. Yeah, the gas tanks sit right in front of the hangers too. Dont know what to do about that yet. May end up putting a fuel cell in the bed or something. Dont know yet.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

My front springs are FREE, I swapped out a bunch of leaves and reused the stock milatary wrapped 2 nd leaf. So my front pack is a mix and match- they are not tefflon lined at this time (except for the stock 2nd leaf). I cut the tips and chamfered the edges, basicly cleaned them up some.

I had a set of stock 63" rear springs from a IFS truck I got from work. They were junk throw-aways (the truck the came off of leaned to the side by a 1")- I used those to ball park the location. I ended up getting a set of Skyjacker 3" lift rear springs. Again, I swapped out the leaves to get the ride height where I wanted. Those cost me about $400.

The great thing about useing leaf springs instead of coils is that you can change the spring rate and ride height to fit your needs, if you have some spare springs. I've probably have 5 or 6 full sets of leaf springs sitting out in my back yard from afew different cars and trucks.

Twiztid

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status