Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" rear springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, May 13, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

63\" rear springs

Does anyone have any info for me on this mod. I did a search on it but couldn't find anything. I seem to remember that it nets you around 6" of lift and we all have seen Toby's k5 flexing out in the TTC. I think you have to relocate the hangers and I'm not sure if you have to use a flip with it or not. I also don't know if the people using it have antiwrap control or not.

Anyone got anything for me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Pics are worth a thousand words too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I am just dreaming about the ultimate suspension with 52's up front and 63's out back /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif mmmmm.. flex /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" rear springs

my height went down. but they are soft. and i now run a compression shackle.
    you need to move both hangers... its like 44 new holes or something

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

why not 57's up front /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I might be using 57's up front if it's possible for me. Where/what did you get your springs from?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

easiest and flexiest way is to move the front hanger to the bolt holes 5" forward. you'll drill one new hole there, then have a custom drop arm bracket make moved back 1.5"

taa-daa

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

off the bck of a newer c10 96?

6. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I just installed 63's on my blazer trail rig that I am building.I had 52's on the rear that i moved to the front. I fabed a shackle flip similar to ORD's and moved the rear bracket forward about 6 inches.The 63's are have about 2 inches more lift than the stock 52's,with the shackle flip it gives me about 6 inches of lift.I'm planning on building a anti-wrap similar to a bambar to keep the axle wrap under control

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

did you put in 4wd 63's or 2wd 63's?

causei deff. went down in height.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Great info thanks!

I am doing the same mod. I will be using 63" springs from the rear of a 3/4 ton... Were yours 1/2 or 3/4 ton springs?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

63s are fairly flat, I've never heard of someone gaining height using them. I'm going to slap some 63s on the rear of my K5. Have them so I might as well. Mine are 4x4 1/2 tons, I think I will try and add a leaf to gain a little height. Then a good bumpstop setup because spring inversion is what will kill them.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Rather than an add a leaf couldn't you just move the mount not quite as far forward and get your extra height that way? It just seems to me that an add a leaf has to hurt the flex a bit...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Move the mount not quite as far forward??? You mean force the spring to have some arch to it? I'm certain you would wear it out pretty quickly or promote the spring to bend doing that. Not to mention maxing out the shackle in the back so that you have no compression travel. Am I understanding you wrong? I'm going to move my fron spring mount, not only forward, but down as well. That should make up for the height issue.

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

if you move the mount back the spring cant move at all. if you force the spring to arch, there is no room for the shackle to move the spring cant arch.

the spring transforms height into length in order to flatten out... so there will be no compression if you dont let it get longer

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Great info thanks!

I am doing the same mod. I will be using 63" springs from the rear of a 3/4 ton... Were yours 1/2 or 3/4 ton springs?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 and 2wd are the softest

14. 82dieselburb

My springs came from a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive. They have 3 leaves plus the overload.When I laid the 63's on the floor next to my stock 52's they had about 2 inches more lift.Its hard to tell how much lift I acutally got from it because there is no body on the frame right now.I have C clamps holding the brackets on right now untill I get some weight on it,so if I need to make any adjustments to get the proper shackle angle,etc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it doesn't really matter at free arch. When weight is on them look at a stock C1500, the springs are almost flat sitting there. There is more arch at ride height in 52s. My 4x4 1/2 ton 63s(whats going on the K5) had 4 leaves plus an overload, and my 3/4 ton 2wd 63s(on my daily driver) have 5 leaves plus an overload.

16. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The rear suspension that I am going to use from my 73 C20 has an 11 leaf pack. I'm not sure if I should remove a few leaves for a softer spring. Or if I should use em at all.
    They are some stiff suckers, with 4000 lbs in the back they don't sag at all.
    But sitting the way they are now I have 33's and could run 35's with no troubles.
    I am going to use the front hangers to do a shackle flip with and am not realy sure how much lift they will give with it all done.
    If I was to remove a few leaves how many should I take out?
    I was thinking 6. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    That would leave me 5 total and with the flip I was thinking it would give around 5" lift. Does that sound about right?

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i ahve the springer setup and will be moving the rear hangers only. i will move the rear hangers front holes to the rear holes ont he frame. it will end up putting the axle back a lot, but then i will just cut the metal as required. the reason you ave to move both hangers is to keep the axle in the same area.
    rgant

18. 82dieselburb

I didn,t realize the springs would flatten out that much.That is a good thing anyways because I only wanted about 4-5 inches of lift anyways.I had the front bracket raised to compensate for the extra lift I thought I would have.Now I will lower them some to compensate for the lower lift.I'm glad they are just C-clamped.Information is a wonderful thing.

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Is there anyone with a few pics to go with this post. I would really like to see some.

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

63"