Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" rear springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by nova, Jun 23, 2004.

1. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

63\" rear springs

i am looking into putting on 63 inch springs on my 77 blazer.
    i have 52" long 6" lift springs 1 inch block on now. but with the resent doubler kit i would like to move my rear end back 3-4 inches and get some more flex. i know i could just put 2" lift skyjacker 56" long springs on and just turn the spring around with a 4" shackle flip to get my 6" lift and 4" axle move but that is the only 2" spring out there for 56" springs.
    63" just sounds better so with a 4" shackle flip and 3" lift springs from ord no more lift block needed. but my frame goes downward forward of the front shackle. this means even more lift (not wanted,could remove load spring). the shackle would be moved 2" forward and the rear shackle would be moved 10 inch back. will this fit on a blazer any ideas of what to do. any pics to show how to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 63\" rear springs

You're just going to have to measure out what you can do with it, moving the shackle flip back that far could run you into some problems with the little pucker in the frame. You may also have a problem with diff to tank clearance with the axle back 4". I moved mine back 3" and it was somewhat close to the tank so watch that. You could look at putting the springs where they would fit easily and use a zero rate to move the axle back if you need to. We do a 3/8" version so it wouldn't be much lift.
    Also, remember that you can turn the shackle flip around to move the shackle mounting point back 2". This could help you out quite a bit when you're dealing moving the shackle mounting bracket. You can also run with a little more shackle angle on the 63's which will help out there too.

3. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

thanks stephan that is what i needed to hear. i have springs and shackle flips on order from you as we speak. i'm not sure how far back i will go with moving the axle yet i'll figure it out once i get the springs here so i can see what i got. 3 1/2 inch will put me at 110 wheelbase from stock. this don't sound bad. and with a longer shackle i will be able to flex pretty good, hopfully. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

update:
    i recieved the springs and shackle flip looks great. i have the tank out of the blazer so i have more room to do the springs and while i was under there i just put my new poly body bushings and 1" body lift in for the doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the only problem i had with the body lift was all the bolts where too short so i bought grade 8's, and the instuctions where wrong for the bushing placment. easy fix and looks great /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

while doing the tank i noticed my tank is trashed so i guess this solves things a bit. i have decided on putting a 20 gal. fuel cell in place and make a skid plate for it and mount it even in the frame rail. so there is no worries about clerance between the tank and axle. anyone have any ideas on ways to do this? any pics? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif