Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" rear springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i am planning on installing 63" rear springs and 52" fronts in my 85 lwb truck anyone have any links on installs i know there is alot of talk of the 52's but my search on 63's came back with little. any advice on the proper place the spring hangers have to go with out the trial and error! thanks.

2. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the same thing (63's in the rear). I'm just going to mount the shackle flip rearward accordingly - at least, I'm planning on it being that simple.:confused:

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

well you need to decide if you want to push your axle back or if not you will have to move your front mount also.
    Just flipping the shackle flip around wont work for the 63's, just for the 56's.

4. rubbinz raczn

i will not be running a bed so rear wheelwells are not an issue, whatever is the best choice for departure angle is my main concern. 2nd is wheelbase, at 131" thats getting up there! i don't have a problem cutting any extra rear overhang off if it's the right choice. i know 52's also push axle forward some? can i bring rear axle forward with 63's without a ton of fabwork?

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Since you're using a LWB frame, my suggestion would be to do what I'm considering: cut the rivets off the front hanger, and move the hanger as far forward as you can (just shy of the start of the bend for the cab) and bolt/weld 'em there. MAKE SURE BOTH THE HANGERS ARE EXACT DEAD ON EVEN WITH EACH OTHER!! Then bolt the 63's in to the hangers, and swing 'em up to see where best to fit the shackle flip. Since the LWB frame has such a long straight portion of the rear, you can reasonably stand to move the hanger a good 16-18" forward. In essense, creating somewhere similar to a shortbed's wheel base (+/- 1") by my calcs using the 63's and pushing the hangers forward, but you're free to figure the math on your own. It's very doable, and I think will be very much worth it in the end. :xmas:

6. rubbinz raczn

big94gmc i think you are correct. i just went and measured a few things. the front spring hanger can be move 16" forward easy. the rear hanger-shackle flip bracket would actually move forward a few inches. still to the rear of the shock moints so no problem dealing with a frame thats not flat for mounting the rear hangers.assuming the center spring pins on the 63's are centered front to back. the wheelbase would be in the 115" to 117" range depending on where you measure. with 52's in the fron pushing the axle forward 2 inches puts it at 119" or close. the rear of frame can also be trimmed 15".

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I'm not using the stock shock mounts on mine - I'm building a crossmember and triangulating 'em, or getting the tri-system from MO Offroad. But yea, you're right, there is no interference to the shackle flip from the divoted frame where the shocks go. Yes, the 63" spring pins are centered, so you're in fact moving the axle forward even with the longer spring. On mine, I'm gonna sawzall the frame immediately behind the ass end of the shackle flip, and box the frame heavily right there.

8. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    A couple photos of my 63" spring hangers...

[​IMG]
    You can see the outline of where the hanger used to be.

[​IMG]

I used a factory hole on all my hangers to assure they were all in the same position on the frame

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Have you measured/calculated how many inches of lift that setup gives you??

10. rubbinz raczn

yeah i also
    will be changing the shock mounts. i have a set of new bilstein 15" travel 5150's. my main question is the rear springs. with a 4" shackle flip what rears would give a 4" lift? i was told 88 up 1/2 ton would be best. from a 4x4? or do 2wd have ones that would work also?

11. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

63" spring swap

I have searching and searching and this is the best thread I have found so far.
    I have a 79 swb on 35's. I will be doing the 52" front swap, and I just picked up a set of 1/2ton 63" springs for the rear. Being that I am a short wheelbase, how far forward (estimated) will I have to move the front spring hangers? I am not looking for lift, but better ride and bigger travel #'s - I'm not worried about bed clearance as I will have fiberglass bedsides eventually but I would like to keep the rear axle where it is. I will (if its possible) keep the shackle how it is stock.

any help? any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    T