Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" spring Swao Info...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Teamstatic2001, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Hey I was just trying to get some info about this, I'm sure there is something on this forum about it but I can't really find anything, I was kinda lookin into it and just wanted to know the benifits, disadvantages. I don't really wanna move the axle forward or back is that even possible to keep it were it is. Also I'm trying to equal out about 8 or 9 inches of lift for the rear. I already got a 4 inch shackle flip from ord, what else would I need. Any help would help alot.

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

For the rear lift, i would say do the 4" shackle flip, you will need a set of 0 rates. That will equal 5" of lift. Then you can eigther do 3 or 4" lift springs in back, or find out what 56" or 63" springs equal out to in lift.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

you would have to move the front mount forward to retain the stock wheelbase. so much so it would end up where the body mount is on a k5. on a truck, im not sure. if you moved the front mount as close to the body mount as possible it would still move the axle back 1.5" or so. if you leave the front mount in the same place, you will end up with 5-5.5 inches of rear axle set back.

as to getting 8-9 inches of lift, i have no idea. i guess you could buy a set of 2 inch longer shackles and use a 3 inch lif spring.

my stock 63's are almost flat, with a diy 4 inch flip a 2 inch longer shackle (only 1 inch lift) and they required a 2 inch block to level the truck with 52's and a zero rate up front.

which i will prob remove the zero rate from up front, and move it to the back to get rid of the 2 inch block.

without wanting to change the wheelbase, i think that 56's would be a better option.

4. Teamstatic2001

Yea this is for a 84 Shortbox project I got going, I don't think it would be up to the bdoy mount but I would like to keep the wheel base the same , like an inch either either direction wouldnt really matter to me so much. I was thinkin like a 2.5 shackle flip for the front shackle hangers of the rear spring and moving it forward and maybe a rear hangers back a lil bit. I'm not so sure about this sense I dont really know to much about it.Thanbks for the info so far anymore would be greatly apprectated

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anything is possible with a torch, welder, drill and grinder.:wink1:

Homebrew flip in rear, 2" longer shackles and stock 63s/64s
    Netted about 5.5" of lift and the wheelbase streched around 4"
    [​IMG]

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Clarkjw24, Did you keep the stock front spring mounts for the 63/64" springs in rear? Or did you relocate the front mount forward to keep it centered?

7. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stock location in the front. Pay no attention to the front height, they're 6" springs but I've now aquired a set of 56s for the front to help level it. I've also done more triming from the wheel well back since this picture was taken.
    [​IMG]

8. Teamstatic2001

so just for input you guys think that a 4 inch rear shackle flip a 4 inch lift spring 2.5 inch shackle flip for the front brakcet you guys think that will net around 8 or 9 or at least seven and i could use a zero rate or add a leafs?

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

yeah that would be a good start.

10. Teamstatic2001

cool thanks for all the help guys I just kinda started on this site and I will keep ya guys posted

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I just put some 63"ers on my blazer frame this past weekend. Left the front mount alone and moved the rear one back about 7 inches. I have a 6 inch long shackle and for the moment it seems pretty level with the front which has a 6 inch lift. I still need to get the truck together and see how much it sags with tube added.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status