Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" spring swap and ran into a wierd problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eripley, Mar 10, 2006.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Well a couple weeks ago I installed 63" springs on my 79 chevy blazer. I bought two rear spring front hangers and used them for the rear. I did a bit of research before tackling this project and read nothing like what I encountered. Since I had the front and rear of the spring already bolted up I had a extremely hard time lining up the springs center pin into my spring pads on the axle. After being done I noticed that my rear shackles were "bowed" out at the bottom and at a drastic angle like this / \ looking at it from the rear. I then posted a message about crooked springs but got no answers.

I now realize the problem.

My frame is actually 1" narrower at the back than at the front. And since I am using the front hangers on the rear the springs are actually twisted. So what do I need to do? Nobody else mentioned this issue and I dont realize why I encountered it. Is is as simple as placing a 1" plate behind the hanger? (Well not really simple as I have to unbolt the hanger and make a shim and bolt the rear hangers back up.) or would you move the spring pads on the axles (which really doesnt fix the problem)?

Is there anything I didnt think of?

please help.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Eric

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did you use 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton hangers? or 1 ton hangers? the 1 ton hangers are not as wide off the frame as the others. this might be a possible problem. or you could just space them out and bolt them back on. i seen another member get in a bind with the 1 ton hanger difference problem before.

3. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

The hangers I bought were identical to the ones that were on my truck orginally. So to answer your question all 4 hangers are 1/2 ton.
    Thanks.
    I think I'll unbolt them and space them out like you said unless I hear something from someone else in the next day or so.

4. sweetk30

do a search or a question in the garage with a link to this post. might get more info in there.

5. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Are the springs themselves the same width as the ones you replaced?

6. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

Yes exactly just longer.

7. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmmmm? Where to look next?

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Blazers of that generation of tub/frame had a wider frame in the front. Therefore, the spring hangers were thinner. You need to run pickup truck front spring hangers in the rear for a shackle flip on a K5. I'm running 64s on my 79K5 frame.

9. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

How come nobody mentioned this when talking about their hanger swap? I cant afford to buy another set of hangers! So whats the next best option?

10. sweetk30

space it out. but make sure to use some solid stock not tubing.