Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" Spring Swap Write Up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Ok. well I have been quite busy today. I put in my 63" springs while keeping the wheelbase close to stock. I only pushed the axle bach 1.5". And the whole process was pretty easy considering I already had the rear shacle flip. So, after I have looked for a good write up and have talked to a few people that have done it and other people that wanted to see a write up, I decided to make my own. I started by getting a pair of leafs from the local pick-n-pull for $60. The packs were brand new. They were still black with no rust and even had the sticker from the maker on it. I pulled them off of a '88 1/2 ton 2wd pickup.

My stock suspension sucked. The shackle angle made for a very harsh ride and I didn't get as mush suspension travel as I wanted.

My stock 52s and ORD zero rates. With shackle flip and crappy shackle angle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stock 52s vs. 63" spring pack. Notice I removed the overload. The 52s were an overload and a zero rate taller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To keep the axle where it was, I had to move the front hanger forward. This was the most time consuming task all day. A lot of grinding and measuring and more measuring and finaly welding them in there new home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other day, I made shackles that were 7.5" long. I just cut an old shackle in half and added metal. Another time consuming project. I had to move my ORD shackle hangers back about 2". I reused one of the holes on the bottom side so this didn't require too much measuring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, this was a pretty easy install. I did have to use the ORD zero rates on the 63s besause they sat just below where I wanted. If you notice in the last pic, I have a serious case of invisable U-bolts so I have not driven it yet. I will tighten up all of the bolts and put on some new U-bolts tomorrow and will post and update on how it drives. I think anyone can do this swap. I am only 17 and had a major hangover from a high school football game last night...And yes I know I need to paint all my welds and clean up the shackles and stuff so don't think I forgot about the little details. I hope this write up helps out anyone that is thinking of the 63" or similar swaps. Thanks for reading. Good Luck and go Wheelin'

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Your first and third pics dont look like the same shackle angle. ORD flip kits make ideal shackle angles when you install them with stock springs. In the first pic your old shackle angle looks fine, but the third does suck. Anyway, good job hope you enjoy em new springs.

P.S. You should probably box in the shackles. The c-shape is chincy in stock length and with them that much longer you'r asking for trouble. Check out ORD's new uber-beef rear shackles for some inspiration.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok thanks. one pic is with weight on it and the other is with the tires off the ground.

4. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

I go to pick n pull in fairfield all the time, they always seem to have a good selection of trucks, ive found a lot of stuff that ive needed to put my 90 Blazer back together. what are you going to do with your old springs ?, if you don`t want them I would be happy to take them off your hands, ive been thinking about doing a 52'' spring swap on the front of my Blazer. let me know and I will come and pick them up.

my email is ljb48@sbcglobal.net

Larry.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

sorry dude. i will be doing the 52" swap up front pretty soon. so they are going to be used...ya, the fairfield one has everything i have needed except a D60!!

6. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

Not a problem, it was worth a try. I would love to find a D60 for my Blazer, there have been some trucks with them there at pick n pull but you have to be there when they when there put out in the yard because there gone that fast.

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

ya, i would love to find one at pick-n-pull. it would only cost about $160 from rotor to rotor.

8. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

so how far did you have to move the front hanger forward?
    looks good though i want to do it but im pretty sure im going to have to change the location of my gas tank to do it.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that would be the $64,000 question...

j

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need to move the front hanger forward 3.5" to clear the cover on a 14FF. In other words, you can't move the rear axle rearward more than 2.5" or else you'll be in the gas tank.

I'm pretty sure I've answered that one at least a few times.

11. PsychoticDeadGuy

the front hanger bolt hole is about 4" tword the front. which gave me 1.5" longer wheelbase while using the zero rate only to lift it not move it.

12. PsychoticDeadGuy

Well. I just got back from driving around...alot softer on and off the road but my shocks suck. I am not sure if its the angle or what. so i am looking for some nice 15" travel shocks to maximize travel but i dont have too much money to spend so if any one has a pair or knows of a place that has a pair for cheap could you tell me. the shocks limit up and down travel right now so they will be removed and i will be measuring for longer ones. so heres my flex pics right now. i know i could get so much more out of it. even the front shocks limit the front end...but i will deal with those ones when i do the 52" spring swap...but i am quite happy with the rear springs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Most pick n pulls I've been to lately all know what a desirable D60 is and I am pretty sure the employees snatch them up as soon as they come in. Hell I would.

14. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

nice work...it all looks good. Could you take a pic of the rear quarter panel from the side...i wanna see how far back the spring eye is and how far it hangs down with that shackle. Im thinkin about doing something very similar and wanna know how bad its gonna hurt departure angle. thanks man.

15. PsychoticDeadGuy

the pics i just posted arent good enough to be able to tell? what angle of pic do you need?

16. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

about how much height do you suppose you gained and what trucks came with the 63" springs?

I've been thinking of doing this myself. Thanks for the write up!

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

63" inch springs came in 88 and up pickups, 92 and up blazers burbans etc, all the new sheetmetal rigs

18. PsychoticDeadGuy

these springs are alot softer. i have the ORD 4" shackle flip with 7.5" shackle and it gave me about a 5-6" lift over stock. the reason the shackle is at such an extreme angle at ride height is because the springs are so flat they dont allow much uptravel but they do offer an extreme amount of droop. i can get about 10" of total travel if not more right now but i will be opening up the things that hold the leafs from fanning out to get a little more droop. i am glad this helped out somebody. thanks for reading.

19. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice writeup on the spring swap. I was going to rag on you about the welds but then I read that you were 17. Nice job. Something I hope to do in the future. Nice to know somebody else out there is still using a stick welder. :bow: :D

20. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i was just hopin to see one thats not so close up on the blazer...maybe with the truck level. Something like a side shot from like 20 feet away would def do the trick. There is one pic that gives me a pretty good idea, but id still kinda like to see it if you don't mind