Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" Springs ACTUAL length

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by redneckdude, Nov 23, 2005.

1. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Im getting ready to swap in some 63s in the rear of my truck very soon...got the shackle flip moved back, 2" longer shackle, hangers have had all but 1 rivit removed from each (very top one near body mount is still in) and today i got around to taking some measurements...well, after moving everything as far as i can, ill have a good shackle angle at 63" eye to eye...now i measured off my dads truck (00 2wd ext cab short bed silvy) and with weight on his they measure out to 63.5". Now my question is this, what do the half ton NBS 4x4 63s measure with weight on them? And what do they measure completely flat? This will determine if i only have to drill a few holes or have to totally rethink my hanger placement.

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

mine were about 63" with no weight but about 64" when they were completely flat.

3. redneckdude

as long as they stay under 64.5 totally flat ill be ok...if not, ill have to get creative.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

you should post up some pics on your swap. did you move your axle?

5. redneckdude

ill deff post up pics when im done...i actually don't have the springs or axle in my possession yet...should be within the next week tho.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

cool, have you read my write up or the others that are on here? mine is here.

7. redneckdude

yeah, ive read it...thats what finally made me know i could do it. I had bought the springs a long time ago from dark eternal since he was gonna gear a 14b for me and whatnot and just ship it all at once...and finally he should be gettin that out soon so we shall see. I moved my ORD flip a little further back and am also using a drop shackle. My front hanger is still a little iffy tho. Have you ever had the springs hit the hanger?

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

you have your front hangers at an angle like mine right? mine will touch if the spring goes negative. working on bumpstops to help prevent the touching and the spring going negative. once you get it done and it touches, grind it off a little.

9. redneckdude

my current plans should allow it to not be at such an angle...we shall see how that goes tho. Yours did looke like it was at a pretty good angle and i figured it would touch...i am also gonna have to limit uptravel too. Don't wanna bend or wear out these springs too quick.