Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" springs, axle wrap and track bar?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by smash metal, Jun 2, 2005.

1. smash metal

smash metal Registered Member

For those of you with 63" rear springs, im pretty sure you've noticed quit a bit of axle wrap. I thought that i had eliminated my problem with my newly designed track bar but the first trip out told me that the springs can exceed it's limits. The pic's can be seen at the link below, just go to the Wheelen album. http://photos.yahoo.com/smashmetal4x4
    Was just wondering if any one else out there has been able to keep there rear under control while being able to use every bit of what a set of rear 63" springs can offer.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that tubing was not nearly strong enough. SHould have triangulated towards the forward mount more as well. What tube did you use? Design is very nice beside the triangulation issue(was too much stress at that one point).

Oh and that is an antiwrap bar. A trackbar is the samething as a panhard bar.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

post up your stuff in the Garage, more responses and you have some badass stuff going on. Still running the pivoting spring mounts? Haven't heard great things about those setups but still cool. You could make and sell those bolt on steering braces too, nice nice nice.

4. smash metal

The reason for not triangulating the bar up further was clearance issues between it and the drive line. A person never can tell what kind things will and do happen when wheelen, like taking a hard bounce. I used 1.5 X .095 wall tubing. Might be time to bump up to .120 wall tubing. O well atleast others can learn from my mistake

5. smash metal

Ill try the garage from now on, I had to take off the pivioting spring mounts cause they got in the way of my disk brakes when i installed them. I liked mine alot, they worked really well on the trail and they prevent much of the broken spring problems because the spring pack is no longer being twisted. As far as driving on the road, well that just sucked cause my rear is welded. Every corner felt like the rear end was going to leave the truck.I was really hoping to run them with the 63" rear springs but stopping power is more important right now.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah definetally too thin. I'd really consider more like a .250 wall.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The more things you do to a leaf to make them flex better, the worse they seem to control the stuff they need to. Pretty soon you end up with a linked up truck and a big ole leaf in the way of everything.
    On the track(-tion) bar, I think I'd start with some of the weld on brackets we have for buiding traction bars and mount your shackle up at the back of the T-case. Build the lower tube out of some .250 wall and triangulate it well.

8. smash metal

Point well taken, But on the other hand i have to work with what i got and most of the time it dosent seam like much.
    How low would the traction brackets hang down on a 14 bolt? I like to keep things mounted above the axle whenever possible. Or would i be better off running trak bar's?

9. Stephen

[​IMG]

The lower mount won't hang much if any below the tube. There was a pic on the garage page within the last couple of weeks that used our parts and looked pretty good, you could search for it easily by looking at posts by me in the garage.

Doing a 2 link system would work well but it is hard on ground clearance, I'd stick with the ladder bar theme but get the mounting points to a stronger location. Or rather move the mounts to a location that allows you to build a stronger bar.

10. smash metal

Thanks for the traction bar incite, after i get my front end all narrowed up ill be addressing my traction problems again.
    Has any one used those same brackets for a 4 link set up?

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not those brackets exactly but ORD does have a set of brackets that are similair to those for a rear four link that work very well with the stock frame.

Just give Stephen a call.

12. smash metal

13. Stephen

For doing a front end, you need a whole different bunch of stuff. The bracketry gets really simple for a front, it's just that the placement and clearances get really tight. The system we have for the rear is pretty much for the rear only.