Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" Springs for the Front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donovan, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

63\" Springs for the Front

What do you guys think of running 63" springs on the frontend. I did a lot of measuring on my 74 truck today and I think that they will fit pretty well. They will not stick past the front bumper, so I don't think that you will loss appoarch angle any. I know Twiztid is tring 52" springs but I think I should go a little longer. What do you guys see pro's or con's to it?

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: 63" Springs for the Front

<font color=blue>Theses are 88+ rear springs, correct? I was planning on adding 73-87 front springs to my 71 since they're longer than whats on there, but if these are longer then mabye I'll do these instead. How much lift would this give? I have 4" springs on now and dont want to loose any height, in fact I would like to gain another inch or so.</font color=blue>

3. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" Springs for the Front

that is what am working on right know, the arduous part is drilling the hole for the shackel bracket.
    the front hanger should be flush with the frame end, so the only probleme is to cut and relocate the front bumper as close to the frame as possible so you dont loss any approach angle.

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

BigGray71 you might try and look into these springs. They are Rancho P#44044. They are for 4" lift Wagoneer. These are the same center pin as yours 22.5 but they are longer to the rear 24.5". You should really look into these. I really don't know what lift that they would give, but it will be around 4-6". Take a look at it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=005803>http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=005803</A>

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If they're longer to the rear, I would have to move the front hanger right? I would rather move the front axle foward than move it back. What would be the advantage to the wagoneer springs over the 63" springs?</font color=blue>

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Cool idea, but I'd worried of the side load. A 63" long spring is ALOT of spring, and I think there might be a sheering problem. - If that makes any sense- (kinda confused myself on that one)[​IMG]

What I'm tring to say is that- In a turn, the body and frame would want to go streight, and the axle would want to take the turn, so there is a huge sheering force applied to the spring. A short spring would have a better chance of keeping the axle centered under the truck. But a longer spring might squirm, allow the for the axle and body to become miss-alighned- I think it might be a handfull to drive and hard to keep it on the road. I think the G.M. 63" springs and Skyjacker springs can take the abuse with out brakeing- but I think they would allow the axle to move around (side-to-side) too much.
    I'm worried about that even with the 52" fronts.

Are you going to go with 63" rear springs? (Donovan) If so, what do you have planed? What are you going to do with the side tanks, if you go with the 63" rears?

Twiztid - good to see you back Donovan!-

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

BigGray71, These springs will about bolt into your blazer as is. The center pin to the front bolt on your blazer is 22.5" and this is the seem as the wagoneer spring. They are longer to the rear so that your shackle will be kicked back which would be much be riding. Just a thought the cost on the springs are around $250 to the door.

Donovan
    Bigger is Better

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Twiztid I would not worry about it to much. If it tends to be a problem I would install a panhard up front. The plan that I am looking at is moving the front hanger 8" forward and up 2". Then I will move the back shackle back 3.75". This will get in the way of the body mount but I can get around that by making a new one. Someone post the picture of the Ford with leafs. Here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=011348>http://www.pirate4x4.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=011348</A> The springs on the front of that ford is 56". So you can see what your springs might do. I don't know what I am going to do in the rear yet if I do the 63" spring I will move them under the frame just like the Ford did. That is one cool truck even know it is a Ford[​IMG] Just some things I would like to do. I have to get some more money to gather though.

Donovan
    Bigger is Better