Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

63" Springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 17, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

63\" Springs

I am thinking about buying a set of 63" Chevy springs (for the rear). They are 3 leaf with overload and shackles. Is this what I should be looking for? If so does $125 sound like a good deal for em? I found a set for sale and am gonna see if my boss (mom) will spot me some cash to get em. I already have the ORD 4" shackle flip too just for FYI. Thanks!

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Re: 63\" Springs

I paid 100 for mine from Pete (yunit) because he decided to go with the 57" ford springs.

I grabbed them because i run a Longbed k15 and have plenty of room to move the hangers around, be aware that major work is needed to fit them on a k5as they are VERY LONG. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you move the front hangars up by the body mount, the springs still go damn near all the way back to the bumper..... Good luck.
    these things seem flexy as hell.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah - kinda.. Those springs are stock 1/2 parts. The price doesn't sound bad either, I would think they are fairly hard to come by.

The problem is that you have a '86, on the "slant-nose" K5s, G.M. relocated the body mounts to the out-side of the frame, right infront of the spring hanger (for the rear spring). So... Inorder to use the 63 springs, the front and rear mount will need to be relocated further apart. Not a big deal with the rear shackle hanger, but the front hanger will need some figgiteing to get moved-forawrd far enough to center the axle inside the fender-well. Do ya gets it ?

Personaly, I think on the "slant-nosed K-5s" ('81 and up) the 57" Ford springs with the Springer-Shackle thing would be the way to go.

'73s up to '80s, the 63s are ALL-MOST a bolt-in deal, but it's not for the timmid. It will take some tweeking to get it right.

And what is up with this "peanut" thing ?

4. ChevyCaGal

I planned to go with 57" up front and the 63" in the rear... I also have 55willy shock mounts for the rear...

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, (I'm running G.M. stock-ish rear 52s in the front)
    57s up front is too long, takes out way too-much of the aproch-angle. As it is, with the 52 fronts, my aproch angle is less than ideal. Also, they (the relocated 52 front spring mount) are moved about as far-forward as the frame will allow.

I think a good clean, simple, suspension might be what the doctor ordered. Streetable, stable, no-major sugery needed, and plenty of travel for everything but the up-most extream.

Here's my thoughts. (for what it's worth)

For the front:
    If you plan on running, for example, a 4-inch spring lift.
    Order a 6-inch spring and yank the very lower-leaf from the pack. Hopefully, the 6-inch spring pack will be slightly longer then the "standered" 4-inch pack, and this will give you a much-needed longer front main-spring. If it is longer, the shackle angle should be vastly improved, and that is key. In my opinion, the front-end travel is greatly hindered by the crappy shackle angle most After-Market Lift springs provide.
    For the front, It's not so-much the length of the spring that equels travel, as it is the angle of the shackle. Meaning, If the shackle is all-ready extended at ride-height, travel is limited to nothing but compression. (no, or very-little down travel)

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I thought the 57's have a shorter distance between the front eye and center bolt? then a stock set of 52" rears.
    I was going to put my 52's up front but I figured while I was moving mounts I might as well throw a set of fords 57's in there.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ya' got me on that one...

If that is the case, sounds pretty good to me, but I would imagin the rear (for the front springs) shackle hanger would have to be moved back, requireing the frame to be cut and drrilled as needed to fir the shackle mount. So it's kinda "sixes" (half-a-dozen in one hand 6 in the other). My point is, as-far as front springs, Shackle angle is key !

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

What about running custom springs instead of 63's? I was talking with a custom leaf spring manufacturer and they claim there setup for a blazer will net 18" vertical rear wheel travel, and 14" front wheel travel, now keep in mind that you do have to move the hangers but for the front you can just move the rear hanger back some. and for the rear you just move the rear hanger back also.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It's only a 1" difference for the 57" spring compared to a typical GM spring. I have to agree with the 57's being an all around better choise for the back.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Steph,

No offense intended....but if you keep collecting "new parts" you are NEVER going to get that thing up and running!!!

You've got plenty of work ahead of you already with the 1-Ton stuff.....I'd say save that $150 for "incidentals" that will come up during the other upgrades.

BlazerFest will be here before you know it.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

I scored a set of 63" rear stock spring from the junk yard for $20 And installed them on my k5. Had to move the front mount forward and make a costom rear hanger. Worked out perfect for me. I say do it while its apart.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Twizted said:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you plan on running, for example, a 4-inch spring lift.
    Order a 6-inch spring and yank the very lower-leaf from the pack. Hopefully, the 6-inch spring pack will be slightly longer then the "standered" 4-inch pack, and this will give you a much-needed longer front main-spring. If it is longer, the shackle angle should be vastly improved, and that is key. In my opinion, the front-end travel is greatly hindered by the crappy shackle angle most After-Market Lift springs provide.
    For the front, It's not so-much the length of the spring that equels travel, as it is the angle of the shackle. Meaning, If the shackle is all-ready extended at ride-height, travel is limited to nothing but compression. (no, or very-little down travel)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more. The shackle angle is the key, and using a higher lift than you need will net you a longer main spring. Just remove a leaf to get the right height. Which leaf depends on what lift, spring rate, weight, etc. 6" lift gets roughly 1" longer main leaf, and 8" leaf gets roughly a 2" longer main leaf. I just got an 8" main leaf for mine. But, with a longer main leaf, you'll need longer shackles to clear the frame on compression. You could also use a standard lift spring and move the shackle mount in the frame forward to fix the shackle. One other thing to remember is that the longer leafs from higher lifts will have the center pin further to the rear (effectively) when they "settle" to the desired height (by removing a leaf). The axle moves back less than half the additional length of the new spring, so it should not be too bad.

As for the 57” springs in front, the pin is 25” from the front eye, as opposed to 26” for the 52” GMs. So, it should actually be just a bit better on locating the front mount. However, those springs are just too soft for the front IMO. With the weight/mass of the engine and all, I don’t think it will work out very well at all…

13. ChevyCaGal

I want to get rid of my current suspension. No point in tearing into my truck and do major work twice when I can avoid it. I can't run my lift now with the 1 ton axles and be happy so might as well get it all together and set up... I'm just debating about rather it will be the 63" springs of the 57" ones. It'll be one or the other, just as for what ones I am still open for ideas on what will do the most for me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have thought about this a bit.
    Marv Springer, Srpinger suspension made a GREAT product.
    go from 52 to 57 inch sprigs. so that is 5 inches of 11 you need to make up for right there. i think you could squeez 7 inches of it with some playing with shackles. then you can move the rear spring hanger back so the front bolt holes on the hanger line up with the back bolt holes on the frame. thats like 2.5 inches or so. now we total a nice rounded number of say 7 inches. only 4 more to go. move the front hanger fwd 4 inches. done deal.
    i have thought about it hard, but decided for now i want to drive my damn truck. it has been almost 2 years now since he drove. im gonna get it done to the point i can go wheeling a bit and then pull it back in tha garage. then tinker a lot more with it, but only a few months at a time
    if i was you and had been driving for a while i would go for it.
    grant