Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

64.5" long rear driveshaft, will I have vibe problems with thick tubing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72THING, Nov 25, 2003.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

64.5\" long rear driveshaft, will I have vibe problems with thick tubing?

I have a really long rear driveshaft (64.5") and bent it climbing some ledges. It vibrates some, but I was gonna keep it as a spare and get a new one built. I was considering thick(er) wall tubing, possibly .120" wall. Right now I think its either .083" or .095". I talked to Jess at HAD and he was reluctant to use .120 in fear that it would vibrate at highway speeds. What's your opinion or real-world experience? Thanks,

Will

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 64.5\" long rear driveshaft, will I have vibe problems with thick tubing?

I'm not an expert like Jesse, all I can offer is my experience with a really thick wall driveshaft. My rear shaft was built by a guy in moab for me when I destroyed my stock shaft. The stock shaft was 42" collapsed length and was .083" wall.

The replacement is .300" wall at the ends and was turned down to .188" for the center 30" or so. It runs smooth and hasn't been balanced (yet).

I can understand that the extra mass in rotation could vibrate if it's out of balance even a little, but if it runs true it shouldn't vibrate...

I run 4.56's so driveshaft rpm is up there at cruising speed.

Rene

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Thanks for replying, Rene. I think I'm gonna go ahead with a .120" wall shaft when I get the money. I have faith that Jesse can balance it to run true. For the mean time, I'll continue to run my slightly bent driveshaft. And actually I think I bent it back some because it doesn't seen to vibrate as bad as it did.

Will

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with rene, as long as the weld arent boogered up and the the tubing is true, you should have any probs. Only thing i can see is with the thicker steel, you will have more mass spinning around, and compared to smaller d/s's might need more counter weight if it was out of balance.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

64.5" is fine, you can use up to around 72 to 74" without havin problems, light duty 1/2 ton longbed 2wd pickups commonly run 74" single rear shaft, so you will be fine for sure

good luck