Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

64 inch springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Oct 19, 2006.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what can you find theese springs in...i want to keep my axel in its stock location...is this a hard mod...is it worth it..

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

88-98 IFS chevys. To keep the axle in the stock location you are going to have to move both the front and rear spring mounts. Also keep in mind axle wrap. 64s are known for that.

3. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

i'm pretty sure that they are on the back of newer hd chevy's... you can probably buy some of of jcwhitney to as stock springs or if you want a lil more lift they have 3" lifted 64's on www.offroaddesign.com but as for the axles and stuff idk. never done it. is this for the front or rear???

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

you know its kinda odd. every time i start typing it seems like someone presses the enter button sooner than me and so i come off looking like a retard :screwy: .... god how i hate slower than dial up internet... and living in the boonies.. but yeah on newer model or if you want to get specific 88-98 chevys... ok.... im done.

5. twoslo4five0

they are 4 the rear..i already have a shackle flip...and am thinking about putting some zero rate add a leaves in..will the 64s stock give any lift and even more how much better articulation..is it worth my time...what kind of anti wrap bars would you recomend

6. muddermilitia

Im pretty sure that the 64s don't give any lift. I've seen pics on here of them in action and im sure someone can post some flex pics. They seem to work real good. As for traction bars Ord just came out with one, its on their website, but im going with DIY's Wraptor...cause its bada$$:D http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm Im doing a 52" front spring and 64 rear spring swap this winter. For the rear suspension, I plan on leaving the front spring hanger and just moving the rear hanger(ORD shackle flip) back. This will give me 4 more inches of wheelbase. Im not sure yet if the axle will clear the gas tank, we will see.

7. twoslo4five0

if you just move the rear shackle dont you have to re do you schock mounts and also brake lines and drive shaft?

8. muddermilitia

Yea im going to get DIY's Backbone truss, Wraptor anti-wrap bar, and shock inboarding kit. Brake lines are no big deal, and yes I will have to get a new rear d-shaft but im doing a 1-ton axle swap and im thinking of clocking my t-case and doing a slip-yoke eliminator as long as I have to get a new shaft anyways.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got lifted 64's and moved both mounts to only move the axle back 2.5" instead of 6"

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've got a set on Patch. They hardly wrap at all. Of course "Patch" is an '84 Yota with all 4 original squirrels still in place. :haha: :haha: :haha:
    They work awesome in that truck for chasing desert racers and desert exploring. Had to remove the 2nd shortest of 5 leaves & it rides SO much better than the stock springs did.

11. muddermilitia

Are your 64s out of a 3/4 ton or something, because mine are only three leaf

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Got them from a friend's 4x shop. I think 3/4t or possibly even 1t but never saw the donor truck. I first tried removing the two shortest leaves and that was too soft. I did ditch the GM overloads completely & now run the yoter OL's upside down. That keeps the springs from kinking at the perch's at max compression.