Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

64 Nova 4 door... thinking of buying

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 77crewcab, Nov 7, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Need to know if there is anything specific to these cars to look for, problem areas etc. I am looking at getting a 64 4 door. What I know is that it came with a straight 6 but I am not sure if I will get the engine/trans or not. Body is in good shape but trunk floor has been cutout in prep for tubbing the rear. Interior is fair but could be cleaned up to work okay. Also it has been sitting for undetermined years without running.

The plan would be to keep it pretty stock maybe minus some chrome trim. Do a flat black paint job and drop in a mild 350/350 or 350/700 combo. I already have the 350 trans and could trade for a decent 350 engine. Thinking of a budget build for a simple sleeper nothing fancy at all.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Something to keep in mind is that when swapping in a SBC there are a few things that are exclusive to the chevy II. First off you will need new V/8 frame stands (the 6 cylinder stands are not the same and cannot be made to work). Next you will either need a factory front sump 64-67 chevy II oil pan, pick-up screen, oil pump, and oil pump intermediate shaft, and oil dip stick OR a special rear sump oil pan made to clear the steering linkage which then uses all standard oil pump, screen and oil pump intermediate shaft.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I already know about the swap stuff. Just not real sure about little details to look for on the car itself. I think it is just the body, no engine or trans so I am mainly worried about body/suspension issues to look for. This will be a project if I get it and not something I plan to drive right away. I did find out that I may be able to get a 350/700 out of a suburban as part of the deal. Any guesses to gas mileage with this combo figuring a mild 350 and easy driving.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, it would be hard for me to figure gas mileage since my 66 nova had a 13:1 SBC in it and gas mileage wasn't of concern. In fact i don't think my car got Miles Per Gallon instead it got Gallons Per Mile but it got there FAST. :D

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well it would have to be better than the 8-10 the crewcab gets. It looks like I may be trading straight up to get the Nova.

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

finding stuff for the 1st gen novas are not that tuff. i own a 65 chevy II post car. make sure you check the floor for rust. mainly on both the passenger and driver side front. i am personally making changes to mine. getting the chassisworks front clip and 4 link backhalf. i have small block that will go in it. as far as milage. depends on the motor. the 6 cylinder did pretty good it believe it was around 12-15 from factory. obviously that could get better with todays technology. but the small block is the way to go. lots of power and light weight car. makes for lots of fun.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I think for begginers I will focus on bodywork and interior and then start looking at changing up the suspension. It will deffinately get a mild 350/700R4. To start with I will simply try to rebuild all the suspension/brake pieces and add some swaybars front and rear, just to get it driveable and then upgrade from there over time.

8. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

if you plan on running a 700r4 plan on making modifications to your trans tunnel.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=785

Here are the pics of the new ride. It will deffinately need a lot of work but it should be fun. It turned out to be a 63 not a 64 but no big deal. I will probably be looking at the Air Ride Technologies Airbar and front set up when the time comes. But I will probably not be for a while.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sure has SLEEPER potential. I’m great at planning a street rod out, but get frustrated when lack of money for my goodies (Parts) is a problem. I’m not good at waiting for stuff I want, even though I’ve had too for many years now. But anyways, my thoughts on the modern day sleeper is a older car that is quick, and handles the twisty roads. Being much more then meets the eye. Just being fast isn’t enough anymore. If I had the funds, I’d start with the suspension. A combo of Ridetech and Hotchkiss. Make it handle like a new sports car. Well, that’s my thoughts anyways.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well I will actually start out rebuilding the entire front suspension, CPP mini subframe kit and disc brakes, stock V8 springs, subframe connectors and a quick ratio steering box. The rears will get multi leafs and 11 inch drums. Will also be converting from 4 lug to 5 lug and putting on some Coys wheels. A plain flat black (real paint not primer) paint job will suffice for now. My main goal on this is to get everything handling the best it can short of coughing up the $$$ for a full front clip and rear 4 link. This will allow me to get all the other issues sorted out like drivetrain, interior, and body work, and then after a while driving it like that decide what I really want to do further on down the line. Deffinately like the idea of bags but that is probably going to be a project for far into the future. Sleeper is the whole idea behind it. Just looking for something that will be a fun cruiser and not a dragstrip demon.