Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

64" rear leaf springs Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bigwishlist, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

64\" rear leaf springs Question

I am thinking of using 64" leaf springs on the rear of my 74 Jimmy. Has any one done this? I am planning on making custom rear shackles and hangers. I also know that it will move my axle back some where aroung 3" I think. I plan on moving the spring perch center hole forward alittle but dont know what the max I can move it is. I have the rear springs mounted at the front and am in the process of making the rear shackle hanger and am looking for tips or things to look out for

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 64\" rear leaf springs Question

I wouldn't plan to offset the axle from the centerpin more than about 2". If you move it too far you'll start flexing the center pin area and you could break leaves at the stress concentration from the hole. I'm not a fan of redrilling leaf springs for this reason.
    Watch the diff to gas tank clearance, otherwise, go for it.

3. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

One other thing to think about that I learned running the long springs on my Ford. Even with a 42" tire, I have alot of spring stickin out from the rear of my truck. They like to drag on everything, & can really bite you if you have to back up. I'm actually pretty suprised I havn't broken a leaf from pushing it up over a ledge yet. To me the benifits of how well they work is more than worth it, but if you are going to be moving the axle forward, you're just going to amplify this problem. I would be more biased towards cutting sheetmetal, or possibly even running different springs. One I havn't seen yet I'd like to is I belive Dodge uses an offset 60" spring... I think the pin's offset 2" or so. Might be worth it to do a bit more research before ya go putting stuff together. I might even dig up a set of the dodge springs to try on mine to see how they work.

Good luck in your project.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Nt sure which Dodge springs you are referring to, but my bro had a 97 1/2 and the rear springs seem to flex very well!

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah I read somewhere that the dodge springs were offset. Would be real interested in trying that myself. Need to move my front and rear axles out about 2" each, but dont want to redrill any spring packs.