Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

64" rear leaf springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigwishlist, Dec 31, 2002.

1. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

64\" rear leaf springs

I an thinking of using 64" leaf springs on the rear of my 74 Jimmy. Has any one done this? I am planning on making custom rear shackles and hangers. I also know that it will move my axle back some where aroung 3" I think. I plan on moving the spring perch center hole forward alittle but dont know what the max I can move it is. I got the idea from off.roaddesign.com off of the green blazer that was in the TTC challange awhile back. I have the rear springs mounted at the front and am in the process of making the rear shackle hanger and am looking for tips or things to look out for

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 64\" rear leaf springs

What did you get the springs off of? Sounds interesting.

3. bigwishlist

An 92 GMC sierra. 88-96 GM trucks have64" rear leafs. Ive heard the longer the rear spring the move flex you get out of them. And since Im building the truck now I figure now it a ood time to add the longer springs.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think the ORD Blazer had this setup for a while. Maybe make a post in the ORD forum and ask him how it worked.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The springs are actually 63" long...that might help your search for info. Your stock springs are 52" long so if you left your front hanger you would move the axle back 5.5". I would move the front hanger (and if anything move the axle back with the axle perch to keep the rear shackle from dragging on everything).

6. bigwishlist

Thanks for the tips. Im thinking I will have to move the front about 2" forward. If I move the front hanger forward it will move down closer to the ground, and that will change ride height like an inch or so. Right?

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Look for pics of SMP's truck. He had the 63's mounted right under the frame, you'll have to move the perches inward. If I was going with the 63's this is the way I'd do it. Be advised that this causes insane amounts of flex. I've seen the same setup on a local guys' truck and it looks easier to fab up the brackets to mount under the frame rather than the ones that mount to the side.

8. bigwishlist

Would moving the spring mounting points inward effect the way the truck handles on the road? As far as side to side movement in the wind and turning.

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you'll have more body roll. That setup is probably the most flexiest (real word?) rear Chevy leaf sprung setup I've seen. Its probably not a good idea for a truck that sees a lot of road driving. If you add a sway bar it shoudn't bee too bad.

10. bigwishlist

I looked through SMP webpage and I didnt see any pics of the 63" leaf spring mounts. Maybe I missed it but if anyone knows the link that would be cool. Thanks.

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I found the link but the pic has been moved. Try PMing marv springer or SMP. The pics were very impressive, they were taken at Moab. Hopefully someone posts them.

12. bigwishlist

Thanks Ill keep an eye out for them. Actually any pics of 63" rear leafs would be cool. Thanks.

13. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I just did this to my rig. Just torch the rivets for thte front hanger off and move it forward 4 1/2" (you'll have to cut part of the body mount to slide the hanger under it, then weld the hanger to the frame and the body mount to the hanger.) Put the hanger high enough on the frame that you can just get the nut and washer in through the bottom. For the shackle hanger, use a shackle-flip set-up of your choice, moved back far enough to get the proper shackle angle (about 5 1/2" from the stock location.) This will end up giving you about 6" or so of lift. As always, measure, measure and measure again before welding stuff together. I can put up a bunch of pictures on webshots of close-ups of the rear set-up, or go there and look at my albumns: SeattleK5 Pics

14. bigwishlist

Thanks for the spring mount locations. How long did you make the shackles or did you reuse the stock ones? Also your link doesnt work but I am interested in looking at them. Thanks for the info.

15. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I just used the stock shackles. I fixed the link and will get new pics up this weekend of close-ups og the mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. bigwishlist

Ok thanks. PM me when you get your link fixed. Tonight I made some rear mounts that look like a shackle flip but the top of the shackle is flush with the bottom of the frome so it doesnt hang to low and getin the way. I think I will end up running a 5" shackle. And I will have to redo the spring perches on the axle to correct the pinion angle. What is an idea pinion angle? I can make it anything I want. Im gonna make my new perches like the "bullet proof" ones out of 2.5x2.5" tubing and change the spring center piont 1.5" forward. http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/perch/ heres a link.

17. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I got 48" of up travel in that pic they work real good just be sure to keep the clamps closed i S shaped mine real quick
    Let me see if i can dig up some more pics for ya.

18. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Cool, I've been wanting to see some better pics of your set-up SMP. Seeing a couple of badly cropped pics of your rig is what sealed the deal for me to go to 63's. I just didn't want to go to the trouble of inboarding them. It only took me about 3-4 hours to get mine all set-up. How do the inboarded springs handle at freeway speeds? I got the pics taken tonight and will post a link in the morning. Goodnight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

nice ride