Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

66 Chevy specs? What rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 5, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I found a 66 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy over in Jersey. It looks pretty nice and is the right price so I am thinking i may pick it up for my daily driver/tow vehicle. My dad is with the idea cause he likes those older Chevys. I am trying to find out what rear it would have though. I'm guessing an Eaton but I don't know for a fact. For a year round daily driver it would have to have a good posi or locker thanks to our wonderful weather here in PA.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My guess would be an Eaton or D60 rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most likely an Eaton 19 spline I believe. Strong axle. Has a rear diff cover and also drops the center section like a 9" Ford. My buddies 66 1/2 ton is 4.57 gears from the factory and I don't know if GM used any other ratio. His is a 12 bolt though being half ton.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

this says its 4.56, its an ebay auction and reserve isn't met yet, hoping its like a grand.

5. Hossbaby50

If it is big and round and looks like a big arse Ford 9" then it is an Eaton. Strong axle. I believe there is or was a Detroit locker available for it. (some from the factory I believe)

6. Hossbaby50

66 is also nice for the fact that it doesn't need to go threw emmision (should you have them in your area). They are simple, the body style is cool and there are alot of parts available.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Only problem I can forsee is braking, but I'm sure someone makes a nice brake setup for them. Since it would be a tow vehicle need good brakes. Has some really nice rims with it too, nice motor as well, probably wants more than I want to spend. My dad may help me out since he likes these. In PA 78 and older don't need emissions so I am looking for an older rig.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

parts are hard to find and expensive for the GM Eaton axles, they were used from 47-72 under 3/4 and 1 ton trucks 2wd and 4x4 both. but under mostly the 2wd trucks with coils, you most likely have dana 60 under the 4x4, but it still could be the H052 axle

4.57 was in the Eatons and 4.56 in the danas

4.10 was available for both axles, and thats all for the eatons but dana 60 were occasionally made with 3.54 although very uncommon and reserved for certain big block combos for 68-72 and in which only would be 2wd anyways

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only problem I can forsee is braking, but I'm sure someone makes a nice brake setup for them. Since it would be a tow vehicle need good brakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

disc brake kits for a 14ff work for them. its way cheaper than the pads at 156.00 the wheel cylinders at 65.00 ech and the drums at 290.00 apiece. so i would just do disc.

i also have a pic of an eaton in my webshots. at least it used to be there. if not ill get it back up.

69k5

10. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Eatons had 4.10, 4,56, and 5.13's. Randys R&P makes replacement 4.10's for them. Parts are expensive for them buts its not an issue because they very rarely go bad. The Eatons were used from 46-72 in 3/4 and 1 tons. They were available from GM with Detroits, which were called no-spins then. 14 bolt axles and spiders or detroits will interchange if you want to swap to fine splines - but the stockers hold up just fine.

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Get the front suspension from a 71-87 2wd 3/4ton. It will bolt up. REZ engineering makes a kit to bolt on a 73-87 power steering sector. Find a power brake set up from a 71-72. You'll be set.

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

14 bolt axles and spiders or detroits will interchange if you want to swap to fine splines - but the stockers hold up just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[hijack/]
    wher did you learn this? im just asking b/c i am putting an eaton in my blazer as soon as i get off my but and hang it in there. i have been looking all over the net for info to educate myself and hadnt heard that before. ive looked here, 67-72, and on pbb just not alot of info out there. i like the big splines personally.
    [end hijack/]

sorry about the hijack

69k5

13. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I dont remember where I heard this but a friend tried it with a 14-bolt detroit insert and axles and it works - except the new 14 bolt detroit didnt last the day, and the 30-plus year old eaton had endured many years of serious abuse before it let go.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i did some more searching after that post and saw where people had done i. they always said the dsame thing that it wasnt as strong. i think ill just kkep mine the way it is.

69k5