Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

66 Chevy, swap to 80 to 87 chassis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 66chev, Feb 21, 2006.

1. 66chev

66chev Registered Member

I have been loking around the site for a while now and i cant seem to find anything that relates to my question so here goes.

Ive got a nearly stock 1966 Chevy 4x4 shortbox 1/2 ton with 6 lug axles and i want to switch to a newer chassis style. My buddy (MTChevy) has a 85 chevy and i took some measurments to compare the body/box mounts and they are realy close to exactly the same. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this idea of mine.

Also after spending ALOT of time looking for a chassis that is in my price range and from the right year (shortboxes are hard to find) i thought about taking 2 feet out of a frame from a longbox pickup, because they are much more common and cheaper. I am worried about weakening the frame to much and causing myself more headaches later. I do have to plan to box the frame too. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks
    66chev

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

Alot of work

Well, it's do-able but it's definitly going to be alot of work, search the threads for 64 4x4 suburban, and you might find some of the answers that you are looking for. I have a 2wd 64 suburban and a 75 blazer, i'm going to use the blazer to make the burb 4x4. I have asked a couple of questions and maybe some of the responses will help you out. Hope this helps and good luck building your truck.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Pay close attention to where the frame starts to 'ramp up' near the back of the cab on the 73+ pickup frame.

I've looked at this frame swap possibility with my '66 C10 and it doesn't look so good.... like I'll need at least a 3" body lift just get it on there without hacking up the floor behind/under the seat. :doah: Burb & K5 frames stay low right back to the rear axle area. 70-72 pickup would be a good donor too.

YMMV though... I'd like see see/hear what people come up with. :ears:

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the guy from high angle drivelines did this. pretty sure he used an 80's blazer chassis. could be wrong tho.

5. 66chev

66chev Registered Member

I looked into using a k5 chassis and right away i realized that the wheel base is quite a bit shorter. The wheel base of my truck compared to an 80 pickup is exactly the same i think.

66chev

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why do you want to switch frames?? The frames on these trucks are pretty strong. If you want newer running gear, all but the rear will bolt in. The rears have a same pad width as a 1 ton. I talked to Jess about his truck, it's on a 70s K-5 frame, and it took quite a bit of work to get it right. I would stay with your frame, and upgrade the axles/springs whatever. I'm in the process of doing this to my 62 suburban.

7. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

bolt on

I have a 64 suburban 2wd and a 75 K5 blazer would this work the same way and the front just bolt in. And if it does could I just drill holes for the rear mounts useing the Blazer leaf spring mounts and leaf springs?

Thanks alot,