Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

67-72 full floating axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greatwhitenorth, Mar 13, 2002.

1. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Any of you old GM guys know if you can swap a detroit outta 67-72 eaton full floater into a 14BFF??

I've been told that it will work, but I need confirmation before I buy anything.

For the locker to fit the spline count and diameter must be the same right? Anyone know what the spline count and diameter of these old eaton axles are?

Thanks for the info.

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

First off--I don't know. BUT...if what I remember is correct from reading about Brian Waddells sub, it had an eaton with a detroit. I believe the magazine article said it had 1.55 inch shafts, and I seem to remember the axles had a relatively course spline. Judging by that, I would say no, it wont work.

3. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Thanks morphed86K10, I was thinking that the shafts would be larger with a coarser spline count but I wasn't sure..

You never know what fits what when your dealing with GM stuff cause it seems like they tried to make everything fit everything.. Oh well. Guess I gotta keep looking for a deal on a 14FF detroit.

Thanks.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

That would be cool if you could do that but I don't know that it would work.The Eaton has a 12.5" ring gear, the 14bFF has a 10.5" ring gear. So the carrier is that much larger.

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

There are 3 different eaton/corporate axle weight ratings only the #11000 axle was 12.5" ring gear the other 2 were smaller. The spline count was, I believe, 17 maybe 12.

6. blzr83

blzr83 Registered Member

As far as I know, the big eaton rearends had 1.55 inch 16 spline axles and the detroits won't work in a 14 bolt.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Detroits for a 14ff aren't that expensive, they are only around $300.00 new. Why take a chance on used when new ones are that cheap?

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hey man, if 300 bones aint taht much i your eyes can i have it?
    cus i dont know about you but a lincolin locker is cutting it close on price for me
    Grant