Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

67-72 Removable door hinges!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecameron87, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen this posted before so I am assuming that it hasn't been done before. This is what I call the Samurai door hinge mod that will work on the 69-72 blazer (will also work on trucks.) I call it this because it is just like the common modification done on Suzuki Samurai doors and its the same concept.

The upper hinges are harder to do than the lowers because of the little friction slider arm that is connected to it. On the part of the hinge that connects to the door, cut the lower female part off along with the bottom 1/2" of the pin that goes inside it (mine was rusted together.) For the hollow pin that holds the slider to the hinge I tried using a punch to get it out, but it would not budge. I even tried drilling it out, but my bits are all too dull. Since the pin is hollow, I just cleaned it out. I then cut the pin out just above and below the slider so the slider can now detach from the hinge. This needs to be done in order to separate the hinge. To do all this work I used a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel and a dremel tool for the slider pin. Hopefully the pictures speak for themselves.

Sorry or the crappy pics.

[​IMG]

Here is another pic

[​IMG]

To hold the slider back on to the hinge, I stuck a long allen wrench down the hollow hole of the pin (this is a temporary fix.)

[​IMG]

I have tried it out with it all put back together and it works great......now to make the door a bit lighter......

[​IMG]

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Excellent!

Doing a quick release door was on the winter 'to do' list, thanks. :D