Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

68 4x4 SWB

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Dec 24, 2004.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Recently purchased a 1968 short box 4x4. Previously owned several 73-91 and always loved the 67-72 style. I know the truck is not original, but trying to find out some of the history. The previous owner had not done the swap and told me what little he knew. It was a 2wd 68 body place on a 4x4 frame and titled as a 68 4x4. Anyone know how to tell the differences in frames between 67-68 and 69-72? I've noticed they make lift kits for 69-72 but not 67-68? Thanks!!!!! :waytogo:

2. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

The frames are the same. And as far as I know the front springs are the same. I'll try and get a measurement for you tomorrow. I have one of each. Jason.

BTW great find, hope ya like it. They are becoming very hard to find. Personally my favorite years.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

are you looking at lift kits for blazers or trucks? blazer's didn't come out until 69. That is the only reason I could think of that the lift would be different. Why someone would title it as a 4wd dosen't make any sense. Most the time a 4x is more expensive to insure than a 2x. Usually you see something like that they would registar as a 2wd.

But to the best of my knowledge there is no difference in 67-72 suspensions.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

frame is most likely a 73-up

you can try driver or pass side top side of rail near engine mount tree bracket for numbers, otherwise they are under front cab floor on top sid eof rail or possibly on outside of rail under front cab floor
    do some brushing or scraping and find them
    also look for any welding done under bed area(shortening of wheelbase) the 73-up are 4.5" longer wheelbase than 63-72

there are differences in 67 68 from 69-72 very minor ones

5. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

You'll have to get custom springs for the rear, they were longer, I believe, and it'll be almost impossible to find a kit that includes them.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies!! I have to take a closer look at the frame and do some scraping and see if I can't turn up some numbers. So the front springs are interchangable from 67-72, that sure simplifies things. Then in the back custom springs or shackle flip. Thanks Again! :laugh: