Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. backwood heavy

backwood heavy Registered Member

Hey, there is a guy selling a 68 C20 4X4 nearby, I havent seen it but wanted to know what kind of equpiment was slung under these classic rigs. He bosts a 4" lift and 33's. What kind of axles, trans and x-cases were put in it. I know everything could be swapped out for later model pieces but for the price Im looking at Im guessing its original.

Thanks in advance

2. Assuming it is stock, it should have a Rockwell T221 transfer case, if four speed manual an SM465 tranny (maybe SM420) , not sure if an automatic. The front axle should be the closed knuckle Dana 44 and the rear axle should be a corporate GM axle commonly known as the Eaton axle, code HO52. It can be equipped from the factory with a Detroit Locker called the NoSpin.

That is what my 69 has in it - here's a link to a pic of the Rockwell transfer case and the Eaton rear axle as they aren't too common these days:

http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/69chevy/eaton01.jpg

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If it's a 4x4 then it's a K20 not a C20. K= 4x4, C=2x4!!!

4. kiley

kiley Registered Member

It can't be a blazer if it's a 68, can it?

5. fender

fender Registered Member

no it can't
    a C/K 20 is a 3/4ton truck

6. Good old cost cutting probably made Chevy put C on all pickups rather than actually putting a K on the 4x4's. Same with Blazers, they are all badged K5 but of course there are 2wd Blazer's that also have K5 rather than C5 badging. Some dude went to my website about a year ago and really went off on me for calling my 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup a C20. Gave me a good laugh.