Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'68 Door Skins in a '72?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak bandit, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

\'68 Door Skins in a \'72?

Does anyone know if the '68 door skins will fit into a '72 blazer without any modifications? I like the look of the earlier ones and would be interested in changing them out if it's not a big hassle...Thanks

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Re: \'68 Door Skins in a \'72?

is there a difference?

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I assume that you are talking about the interior door panels. In order to use an earlier panel ('67 - '71) in a '72 truck and have it look right, you will have to change the window regulators and the latch mechanisms. The handles stick out an inch or so further on a '72 because the molded plastic door panels that were used in '72 only are thicker than the old flat ones.

4. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Yes, the inner door skins. When you say i'll have to "change the window regulators and the latch mechanisms", does that mean I have to change them to the earlier style, or modify them somehow? Thanks again...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the shafts are longer in 72, 72 is one of a kind

also changed from screws to clips holding the panels on, ABS formed panels in 72-up unlike 71 older metal ones

use 67-71 regs and latch mechanisms

everyone knows this

you still will have to modify to attach 71 older panels to the shells though
    they are a new stamping for 72
    it can be done and ppl have done it
    i prefer 71 older metal myself, 72 up ABS is crap junk unless you live in a perfect climate world or have a climate controlled storage

another thing that is neat is removng the vinyl dashpad and welding shut all the holes, no more vinyl to go bad and yet still have sleek 60s dash shape

good luck

6. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Okay...I think I'm gonna swap the new ones for the old ones. Sounds easy enough.
    BTW, does anyone have pics of the finished product of the dashpad removed with the holes filled?