Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

68 Firebird, been sitting a while, questions???

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by bobsurf, Apr 19, 2002.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

My boss has a 68 Firebird that been sitting in his garage for probably around 3 years. It was his Son's, and he moved to Japan. He now wants to get rid of it, and proposed that I get it driveable, sell it, and split the profits. What I really want to do is give him the money for half it's value and keep the dam thing, but that might not be an option right now. My questions are related to what you guys think will be needed to get this thing running. It'll need new tires (they've been flat for 3 years, with the car on them), amongst a number of other things (tuneup, etc). Apperently the fluids were all drained for storage, but other than that, I don't have much info. I know I need to do some looking into, but any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Well, it could need a lot or a little. You won't know until you put all the fluids and a battery in it and try to crank it up. If it cranks over, you can make it run. If it won't crank, then you'll have to see if the engine is siezed or if it's a starter problem. Watch out for fuel leaks from dried out rubber hoses and carb gaskets, and check for any major oil leaks (and oil pressure) when you do get it started. Don't expect it to be happy if you do get it started, and I would keep a fire extinguisher handy for any huge fireball backfire emergencies (been there).

I personally think it's a bad idea to drain all the fluids out of a vehicle for storage. The only exception might be the gasoline, some people say to drain it to prevent varnish formation and some people say to keep it full to keep the tank from rusting. When I store my vehicles, I park them ready to run and start them up every couple of months.

I've also heard it's a good idea to repack any wheel bearings on a car or trailer that's been sitting a long time before you drive it. Supposedly all the grease oozes to one side of the bearing and they burn up.

If it's too much trouble, I'll be glad to take it off your hands... It will be a good match for my '67 Firebird.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I've also heard both theories on draining for storage. Starting it up every couple of months is the way to go. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. If you're serious about buying it "as is", that might be a good option for us. I'll do some looking into, as far as what is actually underneath the hood and what not. Supposedly, "It's not stock" according to my boss, but that is coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about cars.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pics and info. I may be intrested also.

5. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Boss man is getting info on what's in there from his kid. I'll let you know as soon as I have something.