Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

68K miles in two years on this car i just bought tonight ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[​IMG]

uhh i was looking at title for this 84 impala i just picked up a bit ago and the title was issued on 7/17/86

and the odometer reading at the time says it was 68870

wtf ?

how in the hell could 68870 miles have been put on the car since late 83 at the very earliest ??

im confused ?

the car is a 4.3L car, it runs great, i like it,

must be one hell of a 4.3 engine,, damn,..

it doesnt smoke or tap or nothin

hum..

maybe its just a typo and is actually supposed to have been typed out as 6870 ?

what do you think ?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Very possible, especially if the PO was in sales. There are plenty of 2003 model year vehicles out there for sale that have more than 80k on them today...

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Kim and I drive at least 35K miles a year between her bi-weekly commute, my band stuff, and our trips to our rec property........

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh wait! the word sales! duh!

duh for me

/me smacks my brain

i just remembered that i was told that a salesman owned it when it was new..

der........!

lol... :haha:

damn.,. i tell ya,,.

im gettin old..

sheesh!

another thing i just realized too, lol... this thing is a 3.8L Olds powered car

i did not ever evne dream that GM ever put a 3.8L in the full size(B body) cars

but they did......
    through 84.... as the base model V-6..

a whopping 110 hp LOL

would be excellent on gas though i would think.. heh

i assumed it was 4.3L

i had NO CLUE the old 3.8 Olds was ever put in these things,

ill be damned.,.

however the RWD 3.8L Olds engines did use the 90 degree bellhousing same as the straight six and 4.3L and v-8's

so thats cool, but its olds buick pontiac pattern,,..

but i could put a 307 or 301 or 403 or 425 or 455 or 500 in it hehe, if i got the right exhaust and mounts and radiator, heh, but the tranny may not live that long if i drove very hard, but thats ok cuz i have a longtail TH350-C with olds pattern housing from an 81 c-10 with 350 diesel,
    so that would work fine in the car and be tough to kill, :D

thanks

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

One of my buddies had a mid 80's Cadilac Coupe DeVille with a carbed 3.8 in it. Didn't have much power, but got great mileage. We always wanted to drop in a turbo engine from a Grand National or T Type for something different.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

was most likely an 84 at latest, but who knows :P

hell a nice old rocket 350 or 455 would be great or a poncho 400, hehe

sleeper from hell esepcialyl since these b body cars only weigh 3300 to 3400 fully dressed and are coil rear setup already

im not sure why none are raced

instead they are all stripepd and demo derbied

what a waste

of strong built lighter weight coil rear cars,,

hum,,.

oh well, cuz im saving them up now,

:D

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well i can tell you what.. i have learned a few interesting things since i aquired this car lol

i learned that its a chevy 229 engine, not the 231 olds/buick engine iw as thinking would be in one of these- although they did put the 321 in some of the B body cars too, including this exact year make and model

its freakin crazy

so its a chevy engine, and i leasrned that there is also a 200 v-6 and that the 200 and the 229 and the 4.3 are all 90 degree block AND bellhousing pattern, same as the 4.3L and straight sixes and v-8s..
    thats just wild..

the water pump was bad on this one, so i yanked it off this AM, and well its identical to a v-8 one

thats funny

putting remanufactured on one, well whenever it freakin stops raining

i need to drive this car, this is all it needs, im halfway there right now dammit

then i gotta get back on the 87 c-10 head swap

so i can drive it, sell the 81 one,

hum

200 and 229 and 231 v6 engines

who knew..

damn

there cant possibly be nay more oddballs out there i havent run across, besides the old 305 and 351 v-6 engines in the old gm trucks,

hum

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Odd engines? I had a '79 Monte Carlo with, IIRC, a 267 V8. I thought it was a 305 until the cam had to be replaced.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one...(and a few other "wierdos"

I had a 1980 El Camino that had a 267 V8!..it ran sweet,but it was gutless!--of course,the 2.56 Posi didnt help much!--but it got 20+ mpg,and went much better up hills than my 82 Cabalarro I had with a 229 V6 and probably the same rear end gears..They used the 267 from 79-82 if I remember correctly..

I had a 262 V8 from a 75 Chevy Monza too!--but I sold it to someone else after I found out it was so small--I doubted it would have propelled a full size GM truck very well...

The "302" Chevy motor was probably one of the weirdest ones too--many guys argued only ford made a 302--guess they never saw one in a 69 Camaro!.. :haha:

I also had a 1959 "348" motor from a large oil delivery truck--looked identical to a 409!..I paid 150 bucks for it from a local wrecking yard--my brother stored it under his workbench for at least 5 years--we were hoping to find a 60-66 GM truck to put it in,but never found one worthy--a guy bought it from him for 400 bucks..kinda wish I kept it!..It wasn't Chevy's "best" motor,but I liked its looks--a 409 clone!--and rare nowadays!...

I also had what I thought was a 250 Chevy six in an old truck--but I found out it was from a 64 Pontiac Lemans,and it was a 215 cubic inch!--it was identical to a chevy 194,230,or 250 externally--but had a smaller bore or stroke I guess??..

I had a 153 cubic inch FOUR cylinder chevy motor from a 63 Nova too--looked just like a 250 six,with two cylinders sawed off!..I wish I had it now--it would probably be great for fuel mileage in a light GM car,and it would bolt to any normal chevy bell housing!...I think the 2.5 "Iron Duke" motor was derived from the 153 Nova motor...they look very similar--used in Monza's and Pontiac sunbirds...

GM had some strange motors sometimes!.. :crazy: