Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

69 2WD Blazer -Does it have trailing arm type rear suspension or leafs?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Oct 11, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Does it have trailing arm type rear suspension with coils or leafs?

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

they didnt make a 2wd in 69. they had a part and or model number but none were produced until 70. couldnt help on the question though. i would imagine springs

69k5

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

There was a post about the rear suspension on 67-72 subs in the suburban forum. I think the general concensus was that there was enough variability that you can't definitively say it will be one or the other, but both were available. There may have been some info to the effect that GMCs were predominantly one way and most Chevs were the other (or vice versa), but there were exceptions out there, possibly due to option packages (like trailering packages etc). I can't be sure about the 2wd first gen blazers or jimmys, though I did look at one back home with leaves, a jimmy I think. Was too much of a rustbucket for me to figure out if it was original or a converted 4x4

I think you should be able to dig it up in there.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

std equipment form factory was coils trailign arm type, and all 69 K5 were 4x4, IE leaf type G70 rear suspension, if you still have the SPID label in the truck and it says nothing about G70 rear leaves then it was coils from factory, also if the frame rails dont bow out form 34" to 38.5" above the rear axle then it was leaf type from factory and not coils, coils can only use 38.5" wide frame
    G70 leaves used both frames, either works fine and GM did both, all you have to do is swap crossmember under middle of truck and swap bracketry from a donor chassis

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been told by a reputable GM dealer friend that all 69-72 GMC's were leaf spring rear and all 69-72 chevy's were coil spring rears. The frames for both makes were also made at different plants and so the chevy frames don't even have holes for the rear spring hangers to rivet to.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have been told by a reputable GM dealer friend that all 69-72 GMC's were leaf spring rear and all 69-72 chevy's were coil spring rears. The frames for both makes were also made at different plants and so the chevy frames don't even have holes for the rear spring hangers to rivet to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true. If you were talking about 63-66 all 2WD GMC's were leaf while all 2wd Chevy's were coil. Thru these years each division had its own plants and assembly lines with some common parts being shared (major body parts, frames, transmissions and starting in 1964 GMC started offering the Chevy I6 motors but no V8). 1967-69 GMC and Chevy started to combine their assembly lines with full intergration somwhere around 1969. GMC no longer offered the GMC V6 engines in their trucks and now only offered the Chevy motors.

From what I have read and seen 1969-72 2WD Chevy rear suspensions were coil spring as standard equipment but leafs were an option. 2WD GMC was leaf spring standard and coil springs were an option.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true. If you were talking about 63-66 all 2WD GMC's were leaf while all 2wd Chevy's were coil. Thru these years each division had its own plants and assembly lines with some common parts being shared (major body parts, frames, transmissions and starting in 1964 GMC started offering the Chevy I6 motors but no V8). 1967-69 GMC and Chevy started to combine their assembly lines with full intergration somwhere around 1969. GMC no longer offered the GMC V6 engines in their trucks and now only offered the Chevy motors.

From what I have read and seen 1969-72 2WD Chevy rear suspensions were coil spring as standard equipment but leafs were an option. 2WD GMC was leaf spring standard and coil springs were an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep!

either type of suspension would and will and does bolt to the coil type frames, the coil type frames are the ones that bow out to 38.5" over rear axle so that cools can be mounted- and then bow back to 34" again for the rear bumper mounting
    leaf type rears will install on coil frames, and this was done alot.
    the exceptions were 4x4 frames, longhorn frames and 1 ton frames- longhorn frames were 1 ton pickup frames.

this is- or can be- complicated to someone who hasnt made themselves research and memorize this type of info