Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

69-72 K5 Bikini Tops

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by Yukon Jack, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

As the major manufactures are not willing to make a bikini top for the 69-72 K5, I am taking the time to help make a bikini top available by an upholstry shop in Wichita, Kansas. This bikini top will be made when ordered so it is anticipated that delivery time on each top will be approximately 30 days.

The bikini top will be offered in two different styles, a snap style and a style that works with the rail that used to be available from Specialty Top Company for their Fasttrac soft top. This rail style has a lip built into it that happens to work well with the existing windshield attachment system for the Specialty Top Company Fasttrac soft top.

We do not sell a rail for use with the rail style bikini top and presently Specialty Top Company is out of business. The rail style bikini top is offered for people who already own a Specialty Top Company Fasttrac soft top and already have the rail or those that will fabricate their own rail.

As the location of snaps may not be uniform, all bikini tops will be shipped without snaps installed. You will need to purchase your snap installation kit locally. Ace Hardware stores sell a General® Screw-Snap Fastening Kit (1267), Ace No. 23159.

This bikini top will be offered in a marine grade canvas material that is waterproof. The material will be available in a variety of colors. Certain premium colors will be slightly more expensive. The webbing around the edges of the bikini top will be black.

The bikini top will be approximately 61" wide and 38" long - as placement of rollbars vary be sure to measure from your windshield frame to your rollbar to insure this standard size will work for your specific K5. The bikini top is designed to extend past your rollbar a few inches. A longer bikini top can be ordered for an extra charge.

Ordering info is contained in this .pdf file

08-06-08 Edit: To anyone who plans to order a bikini top, I highly recommend calling and speaking with the upholstery man, Harry, prior to placing an order to confirm that his price is still correctly listed on the order sheet. His phone number is on the order form.

Here is a pic of the style that attaches with the rail system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. 2wdBlazer

2wdBlazer 1/2 ton status

Awesome. Just need to measure to my roll bar and a second measurement to account for me moving it back a few inches for my half top to fit. Sweet.

3. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I will be ordering one in a couple months. Im getting close to finishing the body work and then comes paint. As soon as im done with paint ill throw my roll bar in to get measurements. Its kick azz that your doing this.

4. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If anyone has ordered one of these yet, I'd like to see some pictures. I'm still debating whether to go with an extra length to cover the back seat.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

You don't want that to cover the back seat.

Make the girls wear white tee shirts and pray for rain!

6. Yukon Jack

A couple bikini tops have been ordered and shipped at this point and I picked up one for myself and another boardmember who gave me his snap version for a template.

The webbing this upholstry man is using is a good heavy piece and the reinforcement plastic strip for the fastrack style rail is is also great.

I'm very pleased with the quality. Here is an album with pictures of the bikini top designed for the rail system. Again, we are not able to produce the rail so you are on your own if you don't already have one.

The snap style will look identical to these, without the plastic reinforcement sewn into the leading edge.

7. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

can you make them to fit a 73-75??

8. Yukon Jack

Do you know how similar the windshield frame length and curvature is between a 69-72 and a 73-75? I don't have access to a 73-75 so I can't compare them. If you could make a template of your windshield frame I would imagine this upholstery guy could make you one. He would also need to know the measurement from the windshield frame to the back edge of your rollbar. However it might be simplier for you to go to a local upholstery shop and see what they can do.

9. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

awwww shucks okay thanks

10. Yukon Jack

Spring is here - bump!

11. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    What's the price on these?

12. NV_K5

NV_K5 1/2 ton status

So whats the story on these? Did this happen? Does anyone have a pic of one installed? Does / Can this cover the back seat with w/support of course for the kids?

13. Yukon Jack

I believe the guy who is making these will make them longer, you would want to call and discuss what you want and get a quote from him. I have my bikini top (it's the one you see on the floor in the above pic, but I still don't have my snaps and rail installed to get some installed pics. Burt4x4 has one of these but I don't believe he has had a chance to get any installed pics.

14. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Can you get one of these for a 74?

15. thealien

thealien 1/2 ton status

Here are some installed pics. Mine was $170 shipped, he included the snaps and I installed them so they worked with my besttop soft top snaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. thealien

thealien 1/2 ton status

He makes them all the same, my invoice said 73 so I called thinking he made a mistake. He said no mistake they are the same.

Using my besttop soft top snap locations a couple of the outside snaps were in a tough spot but doable.

17. Yukon Jack

I sure don't know about them being the same for a 73-up. He may have test fit one on a 73-up but I have no knowledge of that.

I would definitely call and talk to him about that before assuming that these will in fact work for a 73-up!

thealien, thanks so much for posting pics of these. Would it be okay with you if I posted your pics in the add I have over on the 67-72chevytruck site?

18. NV_K5

NV_K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick posting of the pictures. I'll surely call this guy and see what we can do about adding a little to the back to extend over the back seat for the kids.

I talked to a couple local upholstery shops and they each wanted $500.00 to do this. Seems insane to me.

19. thealien

thealien 1/2 ton status

I am just repeating what he told me. Here is the invoice. The pictures are already up over there, did that yesterday. I saw this thread being brought back up so I posted here also. Feel free to use the pictures everywhere except ebay ;)

IMG_0145.JPG

20. Yukon Jack

Thanks, I definitely won't do this on e-bay - my sole purpose of getting these available is just to give fellow K5 addicts a way to get a bikini top. I don't make a penny from these.

I note your price is a bit higher than what is listed on the above .pdf. Was yours custom that caused the higher price?